Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Nils vs Clam Plate vs K Drill
LSF Member
From Vadnais Heights
I mostly fish on foot and am looking to go as light as possible. I've used a Strikemaster gas auger for many years with no issues. Considering making a change. Pros and Cons for these and what drills are you running? Have heard Kdrills fall off easily?

Posted on: 11/12 14:21:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Nils vs Clam Plate vs K Drill
LSF Member
From Minnesota
K drill with Milwaukee M18 for me light fast and no issues falling off... Like any drill and bit make sure it is tighten down before use.

Posted on: 11/12 19:51:49

LSF Member
From Saint Paul
After all the hype I gave in and bought bought the Clam drill plate and Eskimo 8 inch Pistol Bit to go with my Milwaukee hammer drill. Weighs in at just over 12 pounds vs my Eskimo that's 28 without gas. Not sure how this new setup will work but it seems to spin faster than my gas auger . The main concern I have is how many holes it will drill per battery but should work great early and late season when trying to pack light to walk out

Posted on: 11/12 20:07:17

LSF Member
From Minnesota
I have an inverter to plug into utv for charging. When trucks are allowed plugs right into truck. I run 3 batteries and drill all day. When walking only going to drill so many holes anyway so I usually just bring one spare and get 40 holes. If I havenít found anything walking after 40 holes Iím probably walking in. I run a 6 and 8 inch k drill.

Posted on: 11/12 21:28:51

LSF Member
From Vadnais Heights
Can I ask which M18 do you use? Have seen a wide variety of drills and prices. Assuming it's like anything that you get what you pay for? I'm not a big handyman, so I'm not planning to tackle a remodeling project with the drill, just want something that will work as well as my Strikemaster. Would prefer to not break the bank on a drill.

Posted on: 11/13 11:36:56

LSF Member
This is the drill I have. I have it paired with the 6" kdrill.
M18 Fuel

The first time I had it I tested a battery and I got 40-50 holes on one battery through ice that was 12-18" thick. At least half of those holes were through 18". It drills fairly fast but you do need to lift it up to clear the hole occasionally while drilling.

So far I love the combo. Its light, fast, easy to use, drills plenty of holes (could get 100 holes in a day on the 2 batteries), and none of the finicky issues you can run into with gas motors.

I also liked the fact that I could buy the $250 drill and use it as my auger plus use it all year long on other projects. Just so happened that I needed a new drill at the same time I was looking for a new auger so it made a lot of sense for me to go this route. If you don't plan to use the drill as an actual drill and its just going to be your auger then that might change things.

Posted on: 11/13 12:20:39

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Ditto^^^^^I run 6ah batteries.

Posted on: 11/13 14:02:33

LSF Member
From Vadnais Heights
Thanks for the input all! Now to decide on 6 or 8" bit?

Posted on: 11/13 14:14:52

LSF Member
Here are my reasons for going with the 6".

1. I can drill more holes/battery
2. I rarely fish for anything that can't fit up a 6" hole, if I did its easy to drill 2 connecting holes side by side.
3. I fish with my young kids a lot. When the kids foot inevitably finds a hole they'll get less wet with a 6" hole vs 8" hole. Of course my first trip out with the kdrill my son who was 18 months old put his boot in a hole within the first 15 minutes.
4. Joes Sporting Goods had the 6" discounted pretty good so I saved a bunch of money going with the 6".

Posted on: 11/13 14:32:51

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Just so you know it is not a true 6 or 8. 6 is 5 and 3/4 and 8 is 7 and 3/4. Not noticeable at all but thought I would share. I use my six for panfish. I use my 8 for walleye fishing and if Iím sitting in my portable and fishing two holes as I like a bit more room when in tight quarters. Like said drilling holes side by side is easy. It all depends what you plan on fishing for or type of fishing.

Posted on: 11/13 18:27:29

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page