Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2)

Re: Nils vs Clam Plate vs K Drill
LSF Member
Good point, the sizes are not true 6 or 8, they are a bit smaller. Before I bought one I actually cut out circles the actual sizes of the 6 and 8 (cut them out to true size - 1/4 inch) and put them on the floor to see if the smaller size bugged me since I had previously only fished out of an 8 or 10 inch hole. I went with the 6 and now after a full season of using it last year I don't even really notice any more. The only real difference is that I'll often drill an extra hole from the transducer instead of sharing my jigging hole like I'd do in an 8 inch hole.

Posted on: 11/14 9:39:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Duluth

Posted on: 11/14 21:56:33

LSF Member
From Duluth
Been using the k-dril for a couple seasons now,,,definitely worth it for light travel, but it still is a battery power and when you start augering 2-3í of ice,batteries donít last long.

Posted on: 11/15 21:09:48

LSF Member
From Minnesota
If you can get a power source for charging I have drilled all day on lake Winnipeg in March rotating batteries.

Posted on: 11/15 21:18:58

LSF Member
Not to hijack this thread, but has anyone tried a non hammer drill for these augers? For instance the dewalt brushless 20 volt compact drill. I know the kdrill suggests the hammer drill. Or, will I just burn this drill up?

Thanks, matt

Posted on: 11/15 21:47:48

LSF Member
I use a 6" Nils in early season with a Milwaukee standard 18v drill. on both batteries I easily get 25 - 30 holes with ice at 8" thick. the key is to keep the batteries warm.

On the diameter size issue, my only issue with the 6" is with thicker ice (anything over 12" thick), I have lost a few walleyes at the hole because of their head shake I couldn't get them in the hole without them shaking off.

Posted on: 11/16 11:55:33

LSF Member
From Northern MN
Quote:

mattm2632 wrote:
Not to hijack this thread, but has anyone tried a non hammer drill for these augers? For instance the dewalt brushless 20 volt compact drill. I know the kdrill suggests the hammer drill. Or, will I just burn this drill up?

Thanks, matt

You don't use the hammer drill function with an ice auger bit. Only the drill function. Only reason why people go with the hammer drill instead of the drill/driver model I've heard of is a possible heavier duty drill motor with the hammer drills. I don't have specs or know if there really is a difference between the hammer drill motor and the drill/driver motor in the drills so I can't confirm that's true or not but I run the drill/driver model Milwaukee 2603-22 and it turns my KDrill just fine.

Posted on: 11/16 16:21:23

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Any drill will turn the bit. It is more about the torque on the motor and the stress. When usin an 1/8th drill bit through wood any drill will do when drilling a 2 inch hole through wood or concrete their are better tools for the job. I use the hammer drill as that is what k drill recommends. Unless you are using a clam drill plate the handle on a hammer drill is necessary from braking your wrist as well. We will see what kind of stress the hammer drill will have over time but 5 years in and no complaints with the set up recommended by k drill.

Posted on: 11/16 21:48:35

LSF Member
From SW Metro

Posted on: 11/16 23:27:23

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page