Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Metro First Ice
LSF Member
From Hugo, MN
This Monday I was able to sneak out and find some fishable ice in the Metro. The bite wasn't fast and furious but it felt awesome to get back out on the ice and fight a couple of fish! Anyone who is venturing out soon please be safe, use the proper safety equipment (I cover what I like to use in the video) and check the ice every step. This warm weather coming should make the ice even more unpredictable.

To watch a video of the action, click HERE

Posted on: 11/21 15:53:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Metro First Ice
Staff Team
From Bloomington
Man I can't wait to get back on ice. So congrats for getting out there.

I have a couple of questions....
1. are the gloves you are wearing just black latex?
2. do they actually help? I think just keeping the water off they would a bit.
3. How do you like that little heater? Looks like the Mr heater little buddy. I heard they have only 1 setting and can be hard to light. What is your experience with it?

Posted on: 11/21 20:20:49

LSF Member
Checked ice in the North metro this afternoon..mostly 5 inches of nice cocktail ice for 50 - 75 yards out..a little spooky walking on that clear ice..cleats would be advisable .

Posted on: 11/21 21:26:57

LSF Member
I can answer the little buddy question I own one have had zero issues starting it it's 1 setting I have used it in my clam Nanook it works ok during the day in I would say like 15 degrees in above but soon as the sun goes down it isn't warm enough for me ,but I like to just be wearing just a sweatshirt in the house. It's perfect for a bit warmer weather the 1 lbers last a good while

Posted on: 11/21 23:03:44

LSF Member
From Hugo, MN
Quote:

orandausa wrote:
Man I can't wait to get back on ice. So congrats for getting out there.

I have a couple of questions....
1. are the gloves you are wearing just black latex?
2. do they actually help? I think just keeping the water off they would a bit.
3. How do you like that little heater? Looks like the Mr heater little buddy. I heard they have only 1 setting and can be hard to light. What is your experience with it?

Yeah those are just latex gloves.
I wear them because I have a skin allergy to fish slime. It doesn't completely fix that but helps slow the damage over the ice season as I'm on the ice quite a bit. They sometimes help just keep the hands dry and a bit warmer. I learned the trick from a late fall Muskie guide.
The little buddy works well in my thermal one man. I've had no issues with it but I don't use it too often either. There is just one setting so depending on temps it can get a little toasty in there or if it's really cold, you might sometimes want a bit more heat. I would upgrade to a bigger size if you're fishing in anything larger than a one man.

Posted on: 11/26 10:50:39

LSF Member
From Duluth
Latex gloves are nice for cleaning fish and butchering/cleaning wild game, go on sale for a good price couple times a year at Menards. Good luck

Posted on: 11/26 12:41:14

LSF Member
From andover
When I worked as a butcher for over35 years we wore cotton gloves and put the latex gloves over them. Keeps your hands warm and dry. I wore this cleaning up my daughters deer and use them Use this method also when fishing the north shore in the spring for steelhead, early season walleye, and late in the fall. good luck.

Posted on: 11/26 16:45:05

Die young as old as possible.

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page