Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Places to walk out from on Mille Lacs
LSF Member
Quote:

218Relocated wrote:
Not sure I trust anybody who says there is 20" on Mille Lacs right now....seems bizarre if there are still pockets of open water.

We'll be walking out from the west side early Saturday morning with a spud bar in hand...
When the wind really blows 40mph+the ice can pile up fairly high.I've seen 12to14 inches break up in Montana and Canada.The ice that formed and broke apart on the north side this year is 3to 6 inches thick and some piles are 2.5 to 3 feet high!Give Mother nature a little more time we'll be driving b4 you know it!Happy fishin' don't fall in!c63

Posted on: 2018/12/6 17:00
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
Quote:

218Relocated wrote:
Not sure I trust anybody who says there is 20" on Mille Lacs right now....seems bizarre if there are still pockets of open water.

We'll be walking out from the west side early Saturday morning with a spud bar in hand...

I could surly understand how there could be 20" up towards shore with how the ice seemed to be all broken up and stacked on top of each other. That being said, it surly isn't fishable ice.

Sounds like 7-9" is more realistic. I'll find out Sunday!

Posted on: 2018/12/7 9:07

LSF Member
From Ramsey, mn
Was out there today Garrison area. 8 inches is what we were sitting on. 4 wheelers out there but talked to a guy that walked out to garrison reef and said he punched a hole in a snow bank and it was only 4 inches. Be smart and play it safe. Big lake and thing can change quickly with the ice it has.

Posted on: 2018/12/7 22:21

LSF Member
From Plymouth, MN
Went out of Red Door today. They are letting ATV and Snowmobiles out to the first break. Saw a couple side by sides too. We setup in 19.5 FOW and had 10 inches under us. Saw there were some portables out deeper but did not venture out there.

We caught 4 and had a lot of misses. First trip out have to get the bugs out of setting the hook on a short rod.

Posted on: 2018/12/8 22:15

LSF Member
From Saint Paul
I went up around noon on Saturday with the intent to walk out from Father Hennepin. The gate was closed so you couldn't get much past the office. Ended up walking out from Macs who had 10inches in they bay. Only caught 1 like, but several people had tip ups out with some good action

Posted on: 2018/12/9 17:23

LSF Member
Looking at heading up this weekend. Has anyone been out of the Shah - bush - kung bay access on the west side?? Looking at taking a side by side out, just dont see much on ice conditions for this area.

Posted on: 2018/12/11 19:01

LSF Member
From Becker
Drove down the west side on Saturday looked like most were walking some 4x4

Posted on: 2018/12/11 19:56

LSF Member
From Minnesota
I would not take a side by side out unless I was in the south bays.

Posted on: 2018/12/11 21:14

LSF Member
From North shore of Mille Lacs
More cracks are opening up within hours, and pools called weepholes have very thin ice on them. Heaves and pressure ridges are making any traffic scary at best. I've had a pretty good workout with my pickax and I beams, then flooded for two days. We're getting there, but this early ice is as scary as I've seen in years. If you're going out on the ice this weekend, be smart and fish with a partner and carry your ice picks to get back up on the ice if you go through.

Attach file:

jpg  Jon's lake truck.jpg (56.67 KB)
18706_5c1090d2a0d10.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2018/12/11 23:39

LSF Member
Thanks guys! I think we will stick with the original plan and go out of the south.

Posted on: 2018/12/12 20:06

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page