Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Distance fishing
LSF Member
From mora mn
Let's hear everyone opinion on this. Was on mille lacs today. Get out well before sun up 5 miles out. See a permanent on area I fished few days ago with sucuss so pick new spot on this structure. This structure is pretty big. I'm with 2 other guys and I drill my set of holes down the break towards buddy I'm fishing with. Half HR after we there a group of guys come right in middle of us and set up. They were 40 yards away right in middle of our holes we drilled

Ok I get rule is 10 feet. But we are on a 132000 acre lake and a couple hundred acred flat with no one but one house on it and you have to come right in between us? I get if lake is full or we on a pod of panfish but come on. Then hour or so later another group does same thing on other side of us. I don't understand

Posted on: 2018/12/30 21:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Distance fishing
Staff Team
From Bloomington
I had the same thing happen with my perm this weekend. There were two houses in the area when I put mine down. By the end of Saturday there were 12.

The way I see it is everyone is scouting the same. Looking for the same structures and all have a flasher and navionics, or similar gps and lake map. That great reduces the spots on the lake.

Everyone should still be respectful of space and "elbow room". I have been on the other side as well. I had marked a spot on the gps. Got close and there were people there already. With gps in plain site I walk to "my spot". I always take the time to talk with people and talk about the proximity issue. I have never had a bad experience that way...yet.

Posted on: 2018/12/30 21:48

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Unfortunately it happens all to often on Mille lacs...Summer time too. I try and space out as much equipment as I can in a situation like that. Find a pod of fish on a certain part of flat or rock pile and I will spread gear out, augers shacks vehicles buckets. It usually helps, but sometimes someone sits on my bucket and fishes in a hole I drilled. True Story. If I see two or three shacks on a certain spot. I am off to the next one.

Posted on: 2018/12/30 22:31

LSF Member
From Farmington MN
I think orandausa has the most common reason in his response. While I'm anti-social enough that if someone is fishing on my planned spot, I'll move onto my second choice, I still can't understand how one or two guys think they can "claim" all of a piece of structure or a large section of ice by drilling 30 or 40 holes. While I think 10' is to close, if someone starts fishing in a hole I drilled but am not using I don't feel I have any right to claim ownership of that spot.

Posted on: 2018/12/31 8:14

LSF Member
From central mn
these idiots are in the same classless weekend warriors catagory that scan the lake in the summer time looking for net work and comotion in the boat any boat only to horn in on your spot.

should've pulled out and ran a few circles around they're setup alot of these idiots haven't a clue nor fish much is my take sometimes a little small talk about fishng ethics will go along ways. what these guyz did was legal but not right

Posted on: 2018/12/31 11:39

LSF Member
From St. Cloud
I dont winter fish alot but I like to stay away from people if i can the only problem is alot of the spots i have in my GPS are summer spots not alot of winter spots. if i am on a lake i dont fish much i may only have 2 or 3 spots in my GPS if I only have a couple hours to fish I will be on 1 of those spots if there are people there or not. now if I'm up for a couple days I will explore.The problem with millelacs in the last couple winters is the ice is not good everywhere so if you have a spot marked and know the ice is good to get there you may encounter people.

Posted on: 2018/12/31 12:34

LSF Member
From St. Cloud
I have a story about this. 15 yrs ago I was on a small spot on clearwater that I had found in the summer. as I got to the spot I noticed that there were 2 holes drilled almost dead on my GPS Mark's. I proceeded to drill a few holes and hole hop. about an hour later a gentleman pulled up and just stared at me never said a word. he pulled his house to the 2 holes that had been drilled. after about a half hour I walked over to the house to chat. He asked how I found that spot and I told him I had stumbled upon it that summer. after talking for a little while. He realized I hadn't been following him around like he had thought. I kept about 8 fish that day and I will never forget when he asked why I didnt keep my limit as I had caught plenty to do so. I just told him 8 is plenty for me to eat and I dont freeze fish. To this day I still see him on the lakes and he will come over and talk. courtesy in situations goes along way.

Posted on: 2018/12/31 12:49

LSF Member
From mora mn
Quote:

snow wrote:
these idiots are in the same classless weekend warriors catagory that scan the lake in the summer time looking for net work and comotion in the boat any boat only to horn in on your spot.

should've pulled out and ran a few circles around they're setup alot of these idiots haven't a clue nor fish much is my take sometimes a little small talk about fishng ethics will go along ways. what these guyz did was legal but not right

When I realized that they we're actually going to setup there I said "pretty big lake to be setting up this close. One guy said oh you will be fine. And I said some common courtesy would sure be nice. I did fish my holes I had that they setup next to basically to see if I would get a smart comment out of them then my real attitude would of came out but they didn't.

Their excuse was they fished there day before. They had GPS and if you looked at the map you could find 5-7 different areas on same structure that looked identical to what I was on in a minute of effort.

Posted on: 2018/12/31 13:09

LSF Member
From Walker, MN
Every winter.... So I put my house out on Leech small area on Sat.... Next day Sun a hard house about 50 ft from me a tail piper sets up.

I fish it that night and listen to his generator running. He said Hi I said nothing.

Happy New Year...!!!!! Cheers!!!!!

Posted on: 2018/12/31 13:41

Staff Team
From Bloomington
Quote:

fishnutbob wrote:
Every winter.... So I put my house out on Leech small area on Sat.... Next day Sun a hard house about 50 ft from me a tail piper sets up.

I fish it that night and listen to his generator running. He said Hi I said nothing.

Happy New Year...!!!!! Cheers!!!!!

Loud generators running all night.... don't get me started!

Posted on: 2018/12/31 14:22

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page