Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Tire chains
LSF Member
From South Metro
Looking into getting a set of chains - anyone have any input as to a better type/model than another? If you use them do you chain all 4 or just the rears?

Not looking to put them on, lock it in and hammer down. Not what they are intended for, i know. Just want to be able to get around in 8" of hard pack when the time comes. Or when you crack thru the crust and find water on the ice under the snow...

-Pulling 8X16 with 1/2 ton...

Thanks -

SD

Posted on: 1/2 8:36:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Tire chains
LSF Member
Boy, Haven't used chains in a couple of decades

still in a cloth bag in the shop

you should only need one set, don't forget the tensioners your correct, about 20mph is max speed

about $100 to get setup

FF has a few, but these guys had a bunch (tirechains.com)

always a pain in the butt to put on...

Tt

Posted on: 1/2 8:56:48

LSF Member
From N.Central MN.
I always thought you put the chains on the front tires when you have 4-wheel drive. I think you would get more traction on the front with the engine weight "pulling" instead of "pushing".
Later,
Darrell68

Posted on: 1/2 9:32:39

LSF Member
From Farmington MN
Quote:

SavageDaddy wrote:
Or when you crack thru the crust and find water on the ice under the snow...

Thanks -

SD

Chains can dig a hole in ice so your resting on your axle in a second or 2 if you aren't extremely careful. I've helped people jack up trucks to get something under the wheel more than once when they've dug themselves in with chains.

Posted on: 1/2 15:04:20

LSF Member
From Wahkon,MN
Quote:

PatK wrote:
Quote:

SavageDaddy wrote:
Or when you crack thru the crust and find water on the ice under the snow...

Thanks -

SD

Chains can dig a hole in ice so your resting on your axle in a second or 2 if you aren't extremely careful.

Very far fetched statement! 1 or 2 seconds, come on... Yes you CAN get into more trouble with them but if you screw yourself that bad you had it coming.

Ive got a set of chains for my 1/2 ton and they are a wonder. I run mine on the rear as there is more clearance in the wheel well than in the front. I would comfortably say that I can have mine on and tightened in 15 minutes if im alone, about 10 if I have help.
I got mine at Fleetfarm. I highly recommend custom fitting the length the set to your tires by removing links that are not needed and only leaving 1 maybe 2 links longer than what fits. Tension with bungies or spring keepers.
I can confidently say that I will go through more snow in 2 wheel with chains than 4x4 with out. I can not believe more people don't run them but it really does not surprise me with todays lazy and keeping up with the Jonses' society...

Posted on: 1/3 9:02:30

LSF Member
From Farmington MN
OK it may take more than 5 seconds, but in less than 10 seconds you can spin your tires enough to be resting on your axle if you don't know what your doing. In the 1970's 4 wheel drives were a lot less common and there were more sets of chains used. I carried a farm jack for work in my truck in those days and helped several people on Prior and Spring lakes that had spun themselves into trouble before they knew what was happening.
I'm not advising SavageDaddy not to get chains. Just warning him that in the situation he's talking about they can dig themselves into the ice pretty fast if your not careful.

Posted on: 1/3 10:33:17

LSF Member
From South Metro
Thanks for the responses. I do understand they are another tool, and like many tools, can get you in more trouble than bargained for if misused or used too aggressively.

SD

Posted on: 1/3 11:03:22

LSF Member
From Mn
Like MarkBruzek said they are great easy to put on and as good or better than 4X4 without. Any fool who spins their tires when stuck and cant move dont know how to drive in snow/ice.
I am a guy who had a 1973 4x4 with 2 sets of chains one front one rear.Course I lived in Colorado I drove loveland pass before the Eisenhower tunnel was complete during storms and made $$$ pulling cars trucks out with my 1/2 ton Chev Blazer.Even today when storms come in the mountains passes close to everyone cept for those who use chains,No chains no go
What size tires you have SD? I have 2 sets of chains I dont need anymore like new condition 1/2 price or less if your interested.BUT Like everything I try to sell here I am out by Willmar,Mn. Not near the cities where most buy an sell 100 miles away I am.

Posted on: 1/3 12:09:06

LSF Member
From South Metro
Thanks for the offer Dew, but like you said - you're in Willmar, Im in New Prague.

Posted on: 1/3 13:39:24

LSF Member
Get the vbar style for your tire size. Some come with tension devices or use Bungie cords. Make sure they’re tight! Take twenty minutes or less to install. I used mine this past tuesday. Fresh 6 inches snow on top of a foot. Never spun a tire. Never went over 10 mph and was pushing snow with the bumper off road. As mentioned they can cause trouble and damage. Brake lines are plastic these days. Make sure any loose tag chain is secured on the inside of the tires. Losing brakes is worse than being stuck. Point is take time to install correct and you’ll be happy you made the purchase. Good luck

Posted on: 1/3 17:26:17

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page