Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Buddy or big buddy
Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
I know this has been talked about before but I can't decide. Would you guys get the buddy or big buddy if you had the clam refuge (thermal)?

I've always had the old school sunflower heater (currently the one that sets onthe ground by itself and you can run a hose to it) but it's starting to crap out on me and now I have a kid i'll be taking with me and want a "safer" heater. Can I still use the same hose I've been using? Or will the filter you are suppose to buy not work with it and I should just buy the mr heater hose?

Posted on: 2/1 9:24:00
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Buddy or big buddy
LSF Member
From cold spring mn
personally, i would get the big buddy. the ability to have that extra heat should you need it some day is worth it in the long run.

not 100% sure on the hose but i dont think your old hose will work with out seeing it.

Posted on: 2/1 9:33:44

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
For the minimal price difference I would go big buddy for the BTU output. I would also get the mr heater hose if you wanted to run a 20lb tank as the buddy heaters can be finicky when it comes to that stuff. I run dual 1lb bottles on my buddy heater and get about 4-6 hrs of run time off of them so I started leaving the big tank at home and use the 1lb bottles to save space.

Posted on: 2/1 9:35:05

LSF Member
From Pennock
I run the sunflower heater to my 5# or my 20# tank with the same hose that I run my small buddy heater with, only thing I add is a filter when running my small buddy heater. I dont run a filter in my sunflower.

Posted on: 2/1 9:35:11

Staff Team
From Annandale
I've used the old school sunflower 20# heater head for years and switched to a big buddy with a regulated hose and it's been a great transition. Biggest issue I would get is feet getting cold because the heat was from the sunflower head up so the bottom of the house (Yukon Thermal) was pretty chilly. I've had to run it on high a few times with these cold nights but it stays very toasty. When it's in the teens to twentys I can run it on low with no warmth issues. I'd go big buddy for the square footage you're heating.

Posted on: 2/1 9:58:06

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Sounds like big buddy is what I'll be going with. Thanks guys that was a fast response.

Posted on: 2/1 10:08:04

Staff Team
From Bloomington
Big Buddy all the way. You can always turn it down. Just look at the used market and see how many buddy are for sale vs Big Buddy. Those are all the people who bought a Buddy and are now getting the Big Buddy.

Most people use High setting on the Big Buddy to get that shelter warm fast. Then turn it down to low maybe medium to maintain. Warm fast works well with little kids.

I always use the hose with a bigger tank. I also have a 6 volt rechargeable battery I stick in one of the bottle compartments. It will run that fan for like 10 hours.

Posted on: 2/1 10:11:26

LSF Member
From cold spring mn
Quote:

orandausa wrote:
Big Buddy all the way. You can always turn it down. Just look at the used market and see how many buddy are for sale vs Big Buddy. Those are all the people who bought a Buddy and are now getting the Big Buddy.

Most people use High setting on the Big Buddy to get that shelter warm fast. Then turn it down to low maybe medium to maintain. Warm fast works well with little kids.

I always use the hose with a bigger tank. I also have a 6 volt rechargeable battery I stick in one of the bottle compartments. It will run that fan for like 10 hours.

i've often wondered how long that fan would last? i may need to try it!

i also use the big tanks, only thing i use the 1 lbers are for lanterns!

Posted on: 2/1 10:22:48

Staff Team
From Bloomington
Quote:

glenn57 wrote:
Quote:

orandausa wrote:

i've often wondered how long that fan would last? i may need to try it!

i also use the big tanks, only thing i use the 1 lbers are for lanterns!

Here is a post about how I set mine up.
http://www.lakestatefishing.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=98073&forum=6&post_id=700225#forumpost700225

Posted on: 2/1 11:10:34

LSF Member
From cold spring mn

Posted on: 2/1 12:51:26

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page