Fishing Guides
Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Little Buddy Heater Craps Out Again Arggggg!
LSF Member
From Sarnia, Ontario
I bought a Mr. Heater Little Buddy heater about 5 years ago. I have a Frabill one man flip shack so the 3800 btu/hr was more than enough heat. Also I needed the small size of the Little Buddy as my flip shack is very limited in space. Shortly after I bought it the thing it stopped working when it got below freezing. I contacted the manufacturer and followed their instructions with regards to cleaning the pilot orifice. Still it would not work at below freezing temperatures. The manufacturer kindly sent me a brand new replacement unit.

Well that unit worked well for about 4 years. Now it is the exact same darn problem. The pilot light ignites just fine. Then when you take your finger off of the red start button it extinguishes itself. Instruction say to hold the red start button for 30 to 60 second. I have tried holding the red start button in for 5 minutes (nice pilot flame) and the lousy thing still won’t work!! And yes I have cleaned the pilot light orifice.

As far as I can tell the flame sensor is some kind of thermocouple which puts out a milli-voltage when heated. This in turn pulls in a weak magnet in the main control valve. I know it would remove the safety feature, but if I could bypass the lousy thing I would.

I would love to get it going as this is prime ice fishing time. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

My advice to folks looking for a reliable heater is to not bother with the Mr. Heater Little Buddy. In my opinion it is a piece of crap.

Grouseman

Posted on: 3/3 19:33:59
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Little Buddy Heater Craps Out Again Arggggg!
LSF Member
From mora mn
Well if u happen to find out anything let me know cuz mine is doing same things after one year.

My Mr heaters worked great for years and if something did break they were always easy fix. These things seems fragile.

Posted on: 3/3 20:15:22

LSF Member
From Mora - Knife lake
Not just the little buddy, the big buddy as well. Nice heaters when they work properly. I have a Dynapro (off brand little buddy) that's been working great for many years, never had a single issue with it. All my Mr heater brand have been very problematic.

Posted on: 3/4 7:27:25

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
I have the regular buddy the square single pane version. It works great when its 10 degrees or warmer. Under that it is really difficult to get the pane to take. I can have all the pilot I want. I've just accepted that it won't work and bring my sunflower for backup. Don't like it, but it's better than being cold.

Posted on: 3/4 9:01:40

LSF Member
From Pennock
I agree 100% with arneb04. I have the exact same issue with my small single pane buddy heater RIGHT out of the box. Can always trust my sunflower no matter the temperature.

Posted on: 3/4 9:45:03

LSF Member
I have the same exact issue with my little buddy. This is the 2nd time its happened and both happened the first time using it for the year. Last time a good cleaning took care of it but can't figure it out this time.

Posted on: 3/4 10:26:10

LSF Member
From Hugo

Posted on: 3/4 10:36:06

LSF Member
From Sarnia, Ontario
Thanks folks for the input.

The parts in the amazon link don't look like the parts for my Little Buddy heater (Model MH4B). All the videos I've found on YouTube are for the larger units and not my Little Buddy.

I've visited two other ice fishing forums and nobody has a good thing to say about Mister Heater. Not sure how they can continue to sell the units with so many of them malfunctioning. You shouldn't need to be an electrician/mechanic/engineer to run these things. Maybe their main business is selling "after sales parts".

Thanks, Grouseman.

Posted on: 3/4 15:43:09

Staff Team
From Bloomington
Little Buddy Heater.

Attach file:

jpg  little buddy.jpg (5.46 KB)
5905_5c7eea1317f3b.jpg 225X225 px

Posted on: 3/5 16:28:54

LSF Member
Mr Heater products are junk . This company is a joke as all there products have potential problems . Some may last longer than others , but for the most part things just go wrong with many units time and time again , be it brand new out of the box , or even very slightly used . Yes all sorts of replacement parts are readily available but brand new and slightly used shouldn’t malfunction at the rate they do with this junk of a product. The units are all basically simple heaters with simple parts , these types of failures just shouldn’t happen at the rate they do .

Posted on: 3/5 19:08:28

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page