Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 »

De-Listing of the Wolf
LSF Member
From Big Lake, MN
Just read on KSTP.com that US Wlidlife is going to De-List the Wolf....Finally.

https://kstp.com/national/us-plans-to-lift-protections-for-gray-wolves/5269245/?cat=1

Posted on: 3/6 15:05:30

Re: De-Listing of the Wolf
LSF Member
From andover
Yes it's a good thing. Control and balance the predator and prey. Much needed. I hunt up north and I can see first hand how the wolf population has grown. I also know that we had poor hunting results up north also last fall. Some of it was the weather at times but I believe some of that was due to the wolf population. I had a wolf pack encounter last year during muzzy season.

Was sitting in my stand and I heard wolves in the distance. Then they came closer and closer. Ending up right behind my stand. I think they were chasing a deer. One of the wolves looked right at me and starting mashing it's teeth and made grunting noises.

Been hunting the same place since the late 60's as a kid. Never had any fear in the woods and still don't but that day kind of shook me a little. The muzzy loader only has one shot but I did have my hand gun and I had it walking out all the way. The pack actually came down my trail to the stand where I walk in all the time. Made me think what would have happened if I met the pack on the way out if I left earlier.

Probably would of ran away but just in case from now on I will walk with my hand gun ready. good luck.

Posted on: 3/6 16:57:07

Die young as old as possible.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From St. Paul, MN
I'm sure the lawsuits are already being filed.

Posted on: 3/6 19:02:35

LSF Member
Quote:

Doberfishman wrote:
I'm sure the lawsuits are already being filed.

I'm sure the lawsuits have been drawn up for awhile now. They were just waiting to fill in the blanks. The minute the wolf is officially de-listed the lawsuits will be filed the minute after.

Hopefully the wolf can stay de-listed this time. There are states that could still probably use protections for the wolves but at this point that can be done at the state level. Here in MN with a health wolf population we may have a hunting season again come fall.

Posted on: 3/7 9:28:42

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
I have family who have had problems with the wolf population and their livestock for a few years now. Had never had a problem before.

Need to regulate them, even in just small numbers.

Posted on: 3/8 8:31:44

LSF Member
Warning, unpopular opinion ahead (especially on an outdoors site)

I know a rancher up north of Cook (absolute heart of wolf country) who has 320 acres and 300 cattle spread out over not only his land, but rented acreage throughout the area. He sees wolves quite often, and when I asked him how hard they are on his cattle he laughed. He said he only loses maybe a calf a season to wolves. After extreme health issues took him out of commission for a month, his fence failed and a ton of cattle escaped and roamed the area for days. They all survived after many days of rounding them up with wheelers. The idea that they are out there terrorize livestock in northern MN is extremely sensationalized in my opinion.

I think they are hard on deer, but it's a natural cycle that will play out over time. I get so sick of the deer hunters who whine about wolves, when in reality it's the wolf's territory; they were here long before you and I, and will be here long after, and they are an amazing part of our natural environment.

By the way, I am a deer hunter.

Posted on: 3/8 9:43:10

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
I would think that rancher would care about that 1 calf a year he loses to wolves. My Uncle has averaged over 2 calves a year the last few years lost to wolves. He has more cattle than the rancher you know so maybe that is why he has lost more. But he cares about those 2, that comes out of his bottom line. So again I'm surprised your rancher doesn't care, that is a preventable death.

My deer hunting land is too far south to wine about wolves

Posted on: 3/8 9:49:22

LSF Member
From what I got out of it, there are far bigger issues to him to worry about than losing less than 1% of the calves to wolves (destructive bears, stillborn calves, cold, fences, vaccinations, etc). When I saw him laugh about it, I realized that they aren't the destructive force some would like us to believe they are. I was 100% sure he was going to go into a rant about them, as he also has hogs, rabbits, chickens, goats, and horses. He is an avid hunter too, who actually has a beautiful wolf mount in his house (legally taken).

Posted on: 3/8 12:38:35

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Fair enough I guess the way I see it with all those other things they already have to worry about why should they have to worry about and deal with this additional thing?

Posted on: 3/8 12:46:55

LSF Member
I think a lot about the wolf gets over blown. Almost everything the average hunter knows about wolves is from anecdotal evidence. Its easy to see wolves are doing in one area and extrapolate that into thinking that wolves are doing the same thing everywhere. When in reality wolves impact can be fairly localized.

I know one of the areas Ive hunted a lot you'll hear guys bad mouth wolves endlessly and blame them for the poor hunting. I'm in the same woods as they are and hunting with a group of people. We've hunted there for many years and logged countless miles of hiking and scouting and we haven't seen so much as a single track. If wolves were as bad as some in that area claim I would have seen at least some evidence of their existence and yet I've seen none. The reality is years and years of the "its brown its down" mentality has hurt the deer population and a lot of hunters won't admit to that and look to blame other factors instead of themselves.

Wolves are of course an issue in some areas and they will move in and out of areas making some years worse than others. I do think they need controlling but I don't think the issue is as bad as some hunters would have you believe.

Posted on: 3/8 13:56:48

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page