Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Open water?
LSF Member
From outta here
Last year official ice out was May 4th... Are we on course for the same or similar? I'm thinking later due to the extra insulating snow. But how do we factor in the rain?

Your thoughts and predictions?

Posted on: 3/17 22:16:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Open water?
LSF Member
From Plymouth
I would say the same or earlier. The insulating snow does insulate the ice from melting, but it also prevented ice from forming. I didn't read about anywhere with more than 40 inches of ice, along with the rain, I think it'll be open by May.

Side note, I remember several years back fishing on LOW on April 1st and we drilled through 60 inches of ice! Same time the next year...open water. You just never now.

Posted on: 3/20 11:54:29

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
I think it will depend on where you are. That rain really beat the ice up down south and around the cities. If this warm weather holds I think it will definitely be earlier. Up north missed the rain and got more snow, could take a long time to get rid of all that snow and ice...

Posted on: 3/20 12:02:40

LSF Member
If May 4th is the mark then I'll take the under and say it will be open before that. I don't think we had the really thick ice this year like we've seen in other years. We did have a lot of cold but it mostly came after there was a good layer of snow insulating the lakes from freezing real thick. Once that snow starts to melt the water on top of the ice will help the ice go out quickly. In the southern part of the state the rain gave things a big jump start so we're well on our way.

Posted on: 3/20 13:06:29

LSF Member
From Platte Lake, Minnesocold
Definitely earlier this year in the Mille Lacs area and points South.

Posted on: 4/4 1:14:34

LSF Member
From Duluth/Waskish
Official...where? Pretty hard to talk about ice out without specifying location, since it can vary by a LOT in the state.

Posted on: 4/5 9:31:52

LSF Member
Quote:

slotfish wrote:
Official...where? Pretty hard to talk about ice out without specifying location, since it can vary by a LOT in the state.

See something
Say something

Posted on: 4/5 11:02:38

LSF Member
In the metro I think we'll start seeing lakes open up in the next week or two. The lakes I drive by daily are starting to have areas of open water and once that starts the wind and waves can start chewing it up pretty good.

As far as an official ice out date are you referring to statewide? I don't have a guess on that as I haven't been up north since mid Feb.

Posted on: 4/5 12:20:07

LSF Member
From Plymouth
Well ice out on Minnetonka was April 20. However, talking to a relative up in Deer River, little Winnie has 3 feet of ice yet, and it's not even pulling away from the sides. Ice out by opener might be cutting it close up north.

Posted on: Today 7:50:08

LSF Member
Ice will be out the first week in May in most of the state.

Posted on: Today 15:57:31

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page