Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Entry To Canada
LSF Member
From St. Henry, MN
Hi guys,
I am looking at heading to Canada this summer and am trying to figure our if I am "admissible" yet. I have done a fair amount of reading on the interweb, and it is a little confusing. I wish there was a number I could just call.

Anyway here is my situation, if you could let me know if you think I need to apply for "rehabilitation", or if I could just get in that would be great.

I first want to say I am not a terrible person, but I do have a few skeletons from my early years. I have 2 DUIs on my record both will be 11 years old or older when I head up, and I also have a misdemeanor for illegal transport of a firearm, this is also about 12-13 years old. Since then, nothing. Like I said had a rough go for a while, not that I didn't deserve it. Does anyone have any advice on if I can get in, how I can do it, a place to call to check, etc.

Thanks really appreciate it.

Posted on: 5/22 12:56:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Entry To Canada
LSF Member
From St.Paul, Mn
Not sure if you have looked at Walleye Central or not.
In the Canada Eh? section you will find good info on border crossing.
Not sure if there are phone numbers or not. It's worth a look though.

Posted on: 5/22 13:10:07

LSF Member

Posted on: 5/22 14:23:06

LSF Member
From Blaine
I would not trust to get straight answers from walleye central. Not that fishing forums aren't good places to find answers, but that the border restrictions change quite frequently.

I'd go to the Canada Border Services Agency website to get the real deal.

here's link

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

I've traveled many times to Canada and referred to this website about different regulations. its up to date and if you have any questions you can call.

Posted on: 5/22 14:26:44

LSF Member
From St. Paul, MN
Quote:

Cokes wrote:
I would not trust to get straight answers from walleye central. Not that fishing forums aren't good places to find answers, but that the border restrictions change quite frequently.

here's link

I've traveled many times to Canada and referred to this website about different regulations. its up to date and if you have any questions you can call.

I used a private law firm (www.bordercrossing.ca) in Canada to get answers and have someone to call if things went south when I made my first entry into Canada a few years ago after a DUI in 1998. They still give free consultations if you get on their site and fill out the form.
I got through without an issue. They did give us a thorough check my first time through but since then we just give them the passports, they scan them, and we are on our way.

Good Luck!

Posted on: 5/22 17:23:51

LSF Member
Make a test run up there some weekend. Otherwise be prepared for the walk of shame across the bridge!

Even if you pay and go thru all their hops, they may still deny you. But I feel if you make it thru once, you should be good.

Posted on: 5/23 16:59:57

LSF Member
From SW Metro
Quote:

Cokes wrote:

here's link

Agree.
Speaking to the Canadian Border staff at the Northwest sportshow, they said regulations have changed.

For DUI's, you need to show you have been rehabilitated.
Not sure about Firearms violations.

Go straight to Canada Border Services Agency as suggested above. A phone call may help too.

Posted on: 5/24 10:13:34

Eat, Sleep, Fish

LSF Member
Id for sure go straight to source for info on this. Also doing what Doberfisherman did and get in touch with a law firm in Canada might be wise if they offer a free consultation.

Even if you get a verbal ok over the phone from the Canadian Border folks I've heard more than a few stories of guys getting refused entry based on the mood of the border agent they got that day. I've heard of guys getting denied even after a few successful trips across previously. So much seems to depend on the agent you deal with. A lawyer that deals with this stuff may be able to better address the inconsistent nature of the process and offer some advice.

Posted on: 5/24 12:58:13

LSF Member
From Farmington MN
As you can tell from all the questions and responses you can find on the web about this topic that there is no clear answer and you are often at the mercy of the officer at the border. The 2 DUI's might be an issue. There was a friend of my FIL that went with our group 3 times, he had 2 DUI's, one 15 years old and the other 13. He inquired about rehabilitation and was told that because he had 2 felony convictions he was not ellegable for rehabilitation whether it was 2 DUI's or a DUI and another offense that was a felony in Ontario. Because there were 2 he was told it didn't matter how long ago they were. He always drove his car and there was room in another vehicle for the person riding with him if he was turned away. The 1st time he crossed there were no problems and no questions about DUI's or any other offenses. The next 2 years he was turned away as soon as they scanned his passport. He gave up after that.
It seems to be a crapshoot so have your own transportation if you try.

Posted on: 5/27 9:30:19

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page