Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Hiring Guides
LSF Member
Quote:

Fishinfreaks wrote:
Quote:

pulleye16 wrote:

If you went to the hospital and the MD saved your life, would you tip them %20 of your bill??????

Now that people make $15/hr, I'm not tipping anymore. Guides? why not just charge a rate you want/need to make ends meet????you know, LIKE EVERY OTHER SERVICE? Anyone tip their plumber? Electrician? Imagine tipping %20 to the guys that build your home?!?!?!

Dwight Schrute : "Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food, I can drive a taxi, I can and do cut my own hair. I did, however, tip my urologist. Because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones."

Apples and oranges. MDs, plumbers, electricians are not in the service industry. Fishing guides, waiters, bartenders, etc are in the service industry where a tip for good service is the standard.

Plumbers and electricians, are exactly a service industry job (even google agrees) and no reason why some healthcare jobs are not.

Tipping was to ensure good fast quality service. Tipping means nothing now days. Heck, so many places ask for a tip before you even receive said product or service...like just about any coffee shop or delivery service.

Posted on: 6/11 20:09:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Some of the posts here are mind boggling. Some real angry people out there. Not sure what your job/pay has to do with tipping someone else for doing a good job. If you can't afford to do that you shouldn't be using their services in the first place...

Posted on: 6/12 7:53:18

LSF Member
Quote:

Doberfishman wrote:
Quote:

BrianHoffies wrote:
Interesting reasoning. So because a person makes a decent wage (waitress) they are less deserving of a tip than a person making real good money per hour. (guides) Are you sure you aren't just rationalizing a way to be cheap?

You can save yourself even more money by eating at home and buying your own beer. No need to let anyone else earn a living serving you.

Are guides making upwards of $100/hour? Not where I go their not. Maybe the owners but not the guides. I know my 19 year old niece made $600 in tips in 6 hours (2 - 3 hour shifts) a couple weekends ago plus her hourly wage and she didn't have to fight the freezing cold, blowing snow, drill holes, or clean fish. Hell she didn't even have to clear the tables. If you think a waitress in MPLS, St. Paul or any other place that mandates a $15/hr wage is worth $100/hr (hourly + tips) or more than by all means you give them 20% or more for a tip. I refuse to do it until my wage goes up by double or triple especially since I'm already paying more for the food because of the mandate. When I'm out-state or in another non-mandated $15+/hr state, I still tip 20% or more. But if you think giving a metro waitress a 20% or more tip is noble, go right ahead. As they say, a fool and their money are soon parted.

Is Hooters a fair comparison though?

(chuckle)

Posted on: 6/12 9:31:44

LSF Member
From St. Paul, MN
Quote:

bottlebass wrote:
Some of the posts here are mind boggling. Some real angry people out there. Not sure what your job/pay has to do with tipping someone else for doing a good job. If you can't afford to do that you shouldn't be using their services in the first place...

It's not anger and it's not that I can't afford it, it's just simple economics and if that boggles your mind, I can't help you. When wait staff were making $3/hr when the min wage was $7.25, it made sense to tip them 20% because that's how they were making their money. Now that the government has mandated $15/hr (MPLS and St. Paul and soon everywhere with the crop of clowns in St. Paul), which is double or triple what they were making before, why should I give them 20% of a bill that has already gone up to cover their $15/hr wage? I'll still tip, just not 20%. They're getting paid their "livable wage" so in reality, we shouldn't be tipping them a dime extra.

Outside of mandated areas, I still tip 20%.

Posted on: 6/12 18:14:08

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Quote:

Doberfishman wrote:

It's not anger and it's not that I can't afford it, it's just simple economics and if that boggles your mind, I can't help you. When wait staff were making $3/hr when the min wage was $7.25, it made sense to tip them 20% because that's how they were making their money. Now that the government has mandated $15/hr (MPLS and St. Paul and soon everywhere with the crop of clowns in St. Paul), which is double or triple what they were making before, why should I give them 20% of a bill that has already gone up to cover their $15/hr wage? I'll still tip, just not 20%. They're getting paid their "livable wage" so in reality, we shouldn't be tipping them a dime extra.

Outside of mandated areas, I still tip 20%.

You do realize that the minimum wage in minneapolis and st. paul is not $15/hour. You keep saying that over and over and it's flat out wrong. If you want to talk simple economics you should start with accurate figures. As far as simple economics goes the cost of living has skyrocketed especially in Minneapolis and even when the minimum wage is raised to $15/hr that would be tough to live off of alone and impossible with the outdated minimum wage laws.

Posted on: 6/13 6:48:49

LSF Member
Minimum wage is also determined by the sales receipts of the establishment over the course of the years tax quarters and also the number of people employed.So some places in St.Paul/Mpls will never pay 15$ an hr.Sounds like some are not to happy that a tipped worker may make more money than they do..I dont care what minimum wage is if you cant or wont tip its simple- dont use the service.Stiff the wrong delivery guy and you may find your next order stuffed in your mailbox.

Posted on: 6/13 9:03:05

LSF Member
Whoa there Hoss(es)!!

What these posts seem to be inferring now, is that tipping is mandatory in the first place.

Not in my world.

I tip for good service, not to please The Joneses.

Further, if you travel outside of the U.S., you will find that many places have a percentage tip added to the bill. (if you take the time to translate their language that is. many don't)

Tipping in that instance only marks you as someone to take advantage of.

Anyway, back to the original point. Tipping is not mandatory. If you tip for crappy service, just because you think it is socially mandated, then you simply foster the bad behavior of those false expectations.

Posted on: 6/13 9:21:26

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Quote:

Bandersnatch wrote:
Whoa there Hoss(es)!!

What these posts seem to be inferring now, is that tipping is mandatory in the first place.

Not in my world.

I tip for good service, not to please The Joneses.

Further, if you travel outside of the U.S., you will find that many places have a percentage tip added to the bill. (if you take the time to translate their language that is. many don't)

Tipping in that instance only marks you as someone to take advantage of.

Anyway, back to the original point. Tipping is not mandatory. If you tip for crappy service, just because you think it is socially mandated, then you simply foster the bad behavior of those false expectations.

Not at all, I even said in an earlier post to tip based off the service. I tip less than 20% all the time. But I do it based off the service not based off inaccurate opinions about how much someone is making per hour.

Posted on: 6/13 9:39:20

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page