Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

first few weeks of ice bait?
LSF Member
From St. Boni
Just wondering what some of you use for the first few weeks of ice fishing. I normally go with crappies or fatheads, sucker tip-up's...but what do you think about leeches early or some other type of minnow...shiners?

Out on Bemidji on Sunday in front of Paul and Babe. 7 inches of ice and really slow. We had 3 bites in 3 hours. Any reports on north end or irving?

Thanks, Tom

Posted on: 2007/12/11 13:42

Re: first few weeks of ice bait?
LSF Member
From Bemidji, MN
I would never suggest leeches through the ice. Leeches aren't a great bait in the Fall, so early ice wouldn't really make much sense to me...

Shiners are a sure bet for 'eyes early ice, they work well for crappies and pike as well. Crappie minnows for crappies, or waxies. I've even caught 'eyes on a jigging spoon loaded with eurolarvae before.

Bemidji is doing okay from what I've been hearing, and Irving has been hit or miss. Just like any time, the fish are always biting if you're in the right spot.... ;)

Shiner heads on jigging spoons is my suggestion to you, spottail shiners preferably. Golden shiners under a deadstick works well at times too.

Posted on: 2007/12/12 0:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Bemidji
I was out there too Troutjigga last weekend and only caught two perch. Had the camera down and hardly seen anything, mostly minnows which kinda surprised me.

Posted on: 2007/12/13 23:04

LSF Member
From Baxter, MN
I use the same bait from early to late ice. emerald Shiners, fatheads for eyes/perch. bigger shiners for pike. crappie minnows for crapps, euros/waxies for gills.

Posted on: 2007/12/17 11:48

LSF Member
All of our walleyes all came on suckers around the 4"-5" range biggest going 25" smallest 19", the northerns all hit on smaller fatheads.

This is what we use for most of the season as it gets colder and we target size rather then numbers I have run upwards of 8" suckers for the big eyes.

Posted on: 2007/12/17 13:55

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page