Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Post-Snow Report...
LSF Member
From Bemidji, MN
My how the scenery around here has changed in the last week! We went from nearly bare lakes to snow-packed messes. Sled riding is perfect in the area right now though, and trekking back into some of the small backwoods lakes is truly beautiful...

I've been loving tullies this year, and they are still biting, even when we're not chasing them... Should be an incredible spring push.

Walleye and perch fishing remains good. Fished on Friday for a couple of hours while waiting for renters to come in, and did quite well. 33' of water on Lake Bemidji, midday, mix of Lindy Frostee Spoons with minnow heads and bobber rods with Frostees and full minnows put out some tullies, 5 nice eater walleyes, and a big bucket of jumbos. One of the best midday bites I've had out there this year.

Renters that came in did quite well, lots of walleyes and perch, some pike, and a few beautiful burbot.

Over the weekend I had the pleasure of taking our a client who happened to be from my hometown! Fun day reminiscing and knocking on some panfish. 22' of water, -20 degrees. Was a cold sled ride, but we stayed comfortable in the X2 and only had to drill 2 holes. Pannies seem to still be very active, and still riding nice and high off the bottom.

Been a great year for all species, we'll see how things settle in after this snow has a chance to affect the lakes... O2 should be depleting in shallow with the lack of sun penetration. We're looking at roughly 15" of snow on the lakes, and more is incoming!

Posted on: 2013/2/5 23:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Post-Snow Report...
LSF Member
From Bemidji
Nice report Matt. Seeing that tullie reminds me i have to bring my in to get smoked!

Posted on: 2013/2/6 16:41

LSF Member
From Bemidji, MN
Reminds me that I need to go pick mine up from the Fish Locker today!!

Posted on: 2013/2/7 11:34

LSF Member
Is 4x4 truck travel still possible on the lakes with that 15" of snow? We've got a bach party fishing weekend the 16th up there. It sure would be nice to be able to drive tucks out.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 13:39

Staff Team
From Annandale
Thanks for the report and pics. That's a lot more snow than we have down here, and i'm not complaining about it at all. Very easy travel on the north metro lakes.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 14:26

LSF Member
From In the DOGHOUSE!
Listening to the local forcast for this weekend and it sounds like sunday and monday we are going to get a big dumping of snow again! That will make cross country travel on the lake interesting!

Posted on: 2013/2/7 21:40

cross country was still possible with the last snow storm but i wouldnt suggest it with the snow we are currently getting, id stick to the plowed roads. and with the high winds its creating a lot of deep drifts that are hard to see until you get stuck it them. I was out sunday during the storm on a local lake and did good with the jumbos. But getting off the lake was a different story...took about 2.5 hours, but it was worth the digging to see the gf happy catching fish.

Attach file:

jpg  20130210_180801.jpg (1,329.87 KB)
20105_5118a244cc051.jpg 2448X3264 px

Posted on: 2013/2/11 2:16

LSF Member
From Bemidji, MN
Nice work, those are some dandy perch!

Agreed, travel isn't really advised with a truck unless you stick to plowed roads. We were out yesterday... getting out was easy, getting off the lake, I got off track and was buried up to the door. Needed BemidjiFisher to plow me free! Some drifts were as high as the windows...

ATV travel is impossible. Sleds are okay, but expect to float a TON and be prepared in case you burn up a belt or get buried...

P.S. Fishing was incredible before and through the storm!!!

Posted on: 2013/2/11 10:32

Supporting Member
From Bemidji
Agreed... Please don't head out on the lake without a plowed road. I was out plowing this morning and coming around the south end of Lake Bemidji I counted 3 trucks buried up to the doors with shovels in hand.

Not to mention the rescue mission for Matty last night. That was NOT fun... but we found 2 headlights in a sea of white and got him out of there safe and sound.

Posted on: 2013/2/11 13:46

LSF Member
From Bemidji, MN
Thanks again, Jen!

Posted on: 2013/2/11 17:57

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page