Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

parsnips and turnips
LSF Member
Added these to my vegetable beef soup- lovin it. Anyone cooking with these veggies?

Posted on: 2013/3/11 19:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: parsnips and turnips
LSF Member
From Longville
I love parsnips fried in butter. I don't think I have ever had turnips.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 20:22

LSF Member
From andover
i've put them in soups myself. my mom made soup with these in them many times. i got a friend who cooks turnips and carrots till tender and then mashes them like mashed potatoes. havent tried it yet though. good luck.

Posted on: 2013/3/12 14:45

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

LSF Member
From 55416
Love parsnips, turnips are only OK by me. My winter go-to for a side dish is to large dice carrots, parsnips, russet potatoes and sweet potatoes; toss with oil, salt and pepper; load it on a 1/2 sheet pan and into a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.

Usually do this when roasting a chicken or pork loin, makes for great hash the next morning.

Posted on: 2013/3/12 15:41

LSF Member
Gonna give the roasted veggies a try!

Posted on: 2013/3/12 17:26

LSF Member
Quote:

zooks wrote:
Love parsnips, turnips are only OK by me. My winter go-to for a side dish is to large dice carrots, parsnips, russet potatoes and sweet potatoes; toss with oil, salt and pepper; load it on a 1/2 sheet pan and into a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.

Usually do this when roasting a chicken or pork loin, makes for great hash the next morning.

I do the same exact thing all the time in the winter. It goes well with almost everything.

I will also add parsnips to chicken pot pie or chicken and dumplings.

At the end of the growing season we head over to the farmers market in downtown St. Paul and stock up on parsnips, carrots, and potatoes. You can usually get them very cheap from growers who are looking to move the last of their veggies before the end of the seaon. The carrots and parsnips we put into plastic storage bags with a couple folded over paper towels and toss them in the veggie drawer in the fridge. I think we just finished up the last of them the other day. After being stored for roughly 4 months they were still in perfect condition.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 9:44

LSF Member
From Mn
I had turnips last night,We parboil them out of the garden then freeze.When we want them we fry them in real butter.Good Eats.They went with grilled chicken quarters.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 9:58

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page