Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Tulibee handling question
LSF Member
From Perham
How do you guys typically handle your tulibees prior to smoking, and is one way better than others? I had mine laying on the ice whole and frozen while at LOW then thawed them once home, cleaned them and brained them for a day, then rinsed and let them sit in the fridge for a couple days (not intentional, justhad issues with the smoker) then smoked and let them cool overnight, so now I am planning on a paper wrap and freeze, then do you just thaw them on the counter to serve, or microwave first? Just seems to be a bit of a fragile fish, so I didn't know if they could be frozen again etc.

Thanks!
Scraper

Posted on: 2013/3/5 15:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Tulibee handling question
LSF Member
From St. Paul, MN
I wouldn't freeze them once you have smoked them as they turn to mush once thawed, at least that was my experience.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 16:15

LSF Member
From SW Metro & Stevens Point, WI
The only thing I know as far as tullibee handling, is don't wear your favorite ice fishing gloves when your catching them!! My poor gloves have never been the same...

Posted on: 2013/3/5 16:23

LSF Member
From andover
smoked fish can be frozen for up to 6 months. when i was in the buisness we got smoked whitefish in just smoked but not frozen. there is nothing wrong with frozen fish, but only once. do not freeze fish [smoked or fresh] twice.

it affects the quality, color, moisture, and texture. whitefish and tulibees are more fragile i have found just like Doberfishman said. just dont freeze them too long or just smoke enough for what you can eat. i think that there was a reason smoked whitefish never came in frozen. lake trout and salmon came in vacume packed and frozen often and recieved a longer code date in the counter.

do not thaw smoked fish in the microwave. let them thaw in the fridge. good luck.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 16:30

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

Founder & Editor
From Deerwood, MN
I fillet them and leave the skin on. You clean, brine, rinse, then smoke. I wouldn't freeze them after smoking unless you had way too many to get rid of. Brining the fish will allow the fish to be good for several weeks in the fridge. And I would never cook smoked fish unless it was cold smoked.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 16:30

LSF Member
Wait wait wait, you caught fish Scraper? WTF did you alert the press? That's breaking news!

Posted on: 2013/3/5 16:40

LSF Member
From Perham
Pat, I didn't say I caught them, just that I smoked them, if I would've caught them you would've read all about it in the outdoor news.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 20:58

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page