Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 4 »

2013 boundary waters trip plans?
LSF Member
From Washington State
Who's got their '13 bwca trips planned yet? I'm stationed in WA state, so getting home for my yearly north woods trip is what I look forward to for many, many months. We're usually scheming next years trip on the last nite/drive home from the gunflint trail. Having been lucky enough to work for an outfitter for a few summers before joining the army allowed me to really explore some unique lakes up there, including a few that get almost no travel all summer. For us it's going to be a seagull lake basecamp and day trips into surrounding lakes for eyes, lakers, brookies, and sumo smallies.

Posted on: 2013/3/29 23:31
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 2013 boundary waters trip plans?
LSF Member
From Grand Rapids
I'm with you. We got one planned mid July. Take a memory tour of our moose hunt we did last fall. Love it up there. We did a winter camping trip too in late February. It is nice and quiet in the winter.

Posted on: 2013/3/30 7:49

LSF Member
I would like to but I am taking my summer trip and going to LOW. I used to camp on miles island on seagull there was a great camp site on that island which had a natural cove. We would go into Big Sag, then Red Rock to Aspen then on to Seagull. I miss those trips . It is hard to find people to go up there now days.Did go up in to Queitco one time Silver Falls area was awesome.

Posted on: 2013/3/30 8:31

LSF Member
From Washington State
chris- you pretty much just nailed my route to the t. i lived on seagull for a few years, so i know miles island too well, that and picnic point are two gems to camp on. alpine is one of the best places to see moose in the bwca imo. i've spent many hours on jap lake, lurking for lakers, with success.

Posted on: 2013/3/31 18:14

Field Staff
From Hutchinson
I don't have a trip planned for this year. Haven't been up there in 3 years now. I need to get something going and get back up there. Our last trip we went out of E. Bearskin lake. Pretty good trip.

Posted on: 2013/3/31 18:39

LSF Member
Trying to get out there at least twice a year. My favorite time is mid May and early October. This year got some newbies for the first trip so we're going to take pretty easy route from Brule into Cherokee. Hope I'll be able to put some fillets on the skillet. Everyone talking about Seagull, I hope I'll get a chance to hit this fall!

Posted on: 2013/4/4 10:38

LSF Member
From SW Metro
Our annual trip is scheduled for late July - we'll be entering Sawbill and base camping on Grace for 5 days. Can't wait.

Going to do another one with the family (wife and two kids 13 and 11). Haven't gotten the logistics down yet but this summer is tight on time.

Stoplis - Cherokee is beautiful but I hope you like northern fillets or the occasional lake trout (or plan to fish adjacent lakes). I've been there twice and not done well fishing.

Posted on: 2013/4/4 13:34

LSF Member
From Washington State
stoplis- cherokee is one of the most scenic lakes in the bwca, you're certainly in luck. if you get a chance to hit winchill, its another lake in that route, worth the portage as well. if you decide to hit up seagull this fall, pm me and ill set you up with some spots on the lake.

Posted on: 2013/4/4 22:45

LSF Member
Thank you guys, now I'm in doubt I just checked lakefinder info, it says that north temperance on the way to cherokee has decent walleye population. Checked winchill and walleye not mentioned in the survey at all, but it was 15 years ago, but some angler from BWCA forum says he caught good size walleye there. But pictures from Winchill definitely beautiful!!! Any ideas on that count? The thing is I really want to pick up some eyes, have to prove to the newbies who is the boss

Posted on: 2013/4/5 7:45

LSF Member
From SW Metro
Stoplis - In my experience:

Winchell - beautiful very clear-water lake with bluffs. No walleye, supposedly lake trout, some northerns.

South Temperance - walleyes and smallies around the islands and near the mouth to the Brule connection. Slightly stained water. (did okay fishing one trip and not so well another).

North Temperance. Also a beautiful lake. May have walleyes but we didn't find them the one day we fished it. Very clear water lake so they may have been deep (but we tried deep as well). Good smallie action.

Cherokee - beautiful lake. In the two times I have stayed on it we caught one northern. There are no walleyes there (and that is what several others have told me as well - similar experiences).

I would think your best bet for walleyes in that area would be:
South Temperance (and try North T).
Or head south to Jack/Kelly - try Burnt while your down there.
I've heard the Cone lakes (north of Brule) can be good but haven't tried them.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 7:56

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page