Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Automotive Remote Start Recommendations Please
LSF Member
From Ramsey
I've never installed an aftermarket remote start system, but I'm an accomplished car-guy so installation doesn't concern me much. The larger issue is what brand and type of system would work best? I'm thinking about these as gifts for the kids (18 and 20) who park outside year-around.

One has a 2004 Buick Lesabre and the other has a 2006 Hyundai Sonata. Both have automatic transmissions and both have key faub remote entry systems. Ideally, I'd like something that is activated via the current faub. I mention this because I thought I read somewhere that a couple of systems start the car when the lock button on the factory remote is pressed three times.

If this isn't an option, does anyone offer a remote start system which can be activated via a smartphone app? Of course one has IOS and the other Android.

Suggestions and advice appreciated - thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2017/11/28 18:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Automotive Remote Start Recommendations Please
LSF Member
Viper has been rated amongst the best for many many years. I did research on this about 2-3 years ago when I bought and installed mine (professionally). At least on mine, I needed a new FOB.

Posted on: 2017/11/29 12:06

LSF Member
You want a separate remote as the factory remote range is garbage.
You can add unlock and lock to the after market remote. The remote start its self is not to bad to install its if you need a by pass to skip the factory security then your talking a little more knowledge. I installed for many years at Mach One, but some of the new cars use one wire as the whole car talks to its self via data bus. I bet for around $300 ea you can get a place in town to do it and offer lifetime warranty.

You can add smart phone controls but you have a yearly fee as the unit in the car is like a call phone and needs service.

Viper and compustar are the top. DEI owns all most all the company's that make remote starts just branded under different names.

Posted on: 2017/11/29 12:36

LSF Member
From Wahkon,MN
I had a compustar system installed for my wife in our Toyota Sequoia. I was very happy to randomly discover one day that the factory fop would start the car when locked 3 times. I absolutely hate bulky car key rings so I was able to get rid of the larger compustar remote and just use the smaller fob.

Im not sure if it is brand of vehicle or remote start brand but that is my combo that works for the factory fob like you asked about. I guess I'd call a compustar authorized dealer and ask?

Posted on: 2017/11/29 14:41

LSF Member
From Ramsey
Thanks all for the responses. I hadn't considered the idea that the aftermarket remote start fob (I think I spelled it "faub" in the OP - weird) can be programmed to lock and unlock the doors. I don't care which fob is used, only that there be just one - two is too many to carry around.

My thought was to buy online and wire them up myself. As I said, I'm a competent car-guy, but I have to admit that electricity is voodoo magic to me so in terms of hassle and warranty it just might be worth it to just have them installed professionally.

Thanks again.

Posted on: 2017/11/29 18:32

LSF Member
Astro...

Posted on: 2017/11/29 20:57

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
apparently ios11 doesnt like the website. it leaves blanks lol. Anyway, I have an astro start on my 2001 mazda. Pretty sure it's the same era as the car, so pretty old. It's a 2 way so it tells me if the car starts, if the doors unlock, if the trunk pops etc.. Plus when you use it to start the car it locks out the factory fobs, so you really only need the 1. Also, if the range is less than a mile, not by much. I used to be able to start it from the freeway on my way back to the office. I don't know anything about any of the brands or whatever, but i know i like it quite a bit.

Posted on: 2017/11/29 21:31

LSF Member
From central mn
North metro has a good company called "Dealer Automotive Services" They do a great job and have auto start options for ya.

Posted on: 2017/11/30 13:36

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page