Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Catfish through the Ice!
LSF Member
From Hugo, MN
A few friends and I decided to try our hand at something we've never done before - targeting Channel Catfish through the ice. This definitely proved to be a bit of a challenge and took me out of my comfort zone. After getting a few bites and fish up the hole we started to figure out a method that worked for us. I don't feel like it's the most productive way to catch these fish but it worked out for us that day. At the end of the day everyone in our group caught quite a few fish, had their rods doubled over and left with smiles on our faces. These fish put up a heck of a fight on Walleye gear! I will definitely try to get back up there this season.

To watch a video of the action, click HERE

Attach file:

jpg  Catfish through the ICE.JPG (1,901.16 KB)
14215_5a81cf623f49e.jpg 5184X3456 px

Posted on: 2/12 12:31:28
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Catfish through the Ice!
Staff Team
I have caught some catfish through the ice on the horseshoe chain. I used little pieces of chicken liver on a very small yellow frostee jig. You have to find the schools of catfish or it can be a long time between bites but if your on a school of them it is a lot of fun. Great picture and those are some dandy channels. Thanks for sharing your fishing adventure with us..............Kirk

Posted on: 2/12 12:50:01

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011

Re: Catfish through the Ice!
LSF Member
From Hugo, MN
Quote:
Kirk wrote:
I have caught some catfish through the ice on the horseshoe chain. I used little pieces of chicken liver on a very small yellow frostee jig. You have to find the schools of catfish or it can be a long time between bites but if your on a school of them it is a lot of fun. Great picture and those are some dandy channels. Thanks for sharing your fishing adventure with us..............Kirk

We initially tried minnow heads on spoons and bobbers for strike indicators. Seeing fish on the graph and knowing my bait wasn't in front of their face would cause me to be moving my bobber stopper up and down all the time. I removed the bobber, tied on a 6mm Kenders jig and put on chicken liver and that's when I started catching most of my fish. When the school really piled up I thought my flasher was broken because I couldn't see anything. Turns out it was just 20+ft of Catfish stacked up!

Posted on: 2/14 11:14:41

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page