Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Detroit lakes area?
LSF Member
So kind of an unfortunate circumstance but my brother in laws sister passed away last Saturday and am making the drive up this Saturday for the visitation on Sunday. Gonna be a 5 hour drive up to Crookston. Just curious if anyone knows of a spot in the Detroit lakes area that's not to far out of the way I could make a quick midday stop for an hour or two and catch some decent panfish. Would have to be a lake I could drive the truck out since the gf will be with. I drive a newer 2500 diesel so don't wanna deal with any questionable ice. Any tips, spots or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Posted on: 1/31 22:44:45
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Detroit lakes area?
LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
To be honest, I haven't fished around here much over the last 3 weeks, and when I do I'm on a lake without public access currently so I stay around here unless I'm on a trip in the hard house.

As far as vehicle travel goes, you should be good to go just about anywhere. Sauer comes to mind, it's right off 59 depending where you're coming from. There's a few houses out there and I've seen trucks out there for a while.. Never fished it, but it would be easy on, easy off since its a small lake and everyone seems to congregate in the middle only about 150 - 200 yards from the access. There did have open water later in the year in an area that would be past, and off to the right of the shanty town, over by the peninsula so maybe shy away from that, but people have been driving out there for quite a while, and if you're concerned, you could easily walk out, there's a plowed road to the shanty town that's make it easy, but I can't confirm the fishing quality or species as I have never been out there before.

I would just drive and pick a lake on the way up. There's trucks and wheelhouses out everywhere out here, so I wouldn't be too caught up with ice thickness, the lake I'm on has roughly 20"....

Posted on: 2/1 8:07:52

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
I had my house on Sauer for a couple weeks, but took it off to tow to Red. I'm not sure I'll put it back on. 2 weeks ago there was really only about 14" of ice where the houses are congregated. I like to usually be to the south of them quite a ways, but as walleye season said there was open water late from the wind, and there was only about 9" of ice really not too far from the houses and I think even less farther out. So. I stayed put where I was. I'm sure there is more now but I haven't been back because fishing was slow. Great option for panfish right off 59 though when the fish are biting. The other lake along that stretch is Meadow. Much less activity and traffic. The landing is not as improved as Sauer (Sauer is a rest stop). Otherwise just stop at Detroit and fish out there amongst the people. Easy drive on and off from a few places along the beach and beer is within walking distance

Posted on: 2/1 11:03:49

LSF Member
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Anyone else have any other lakes to try? Thinking about maybe giving Franklin a whirl. Tried to pm a few guys from around the area but my pm's won't send...

Posted on: 2/2 19:28:16

If you are thinking Franklin IMO you are better off going just down the road to Lida...more crappies, roads plowed to most of the good areas...but keep in mind Lida has an 11" minimum, anything smaller has to go back...Franklin has a 10.5" minimum and limit of 5 crappies...but I bet you'd get ten 11" crappies in Lida before you got five 10.5" in Franklin.

Posted on: 2/6 15:57:00

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page