Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

450 Bushmaster
LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
I'll apologize, this could be long winded. So, I used to sell firearms and firearms accessories. I haven't for 10 years, but I've never felt like I was way out of the loop on anything. Until this weekend when I went to the Reeds gunfair, and there's stuff all over the place that I just can't wrap my head around. So, I went there with the purpose of picking up a decent deer rifle, with very manageable recoil so when my kid is a little older he can shoot it effectively and eventually he can just have it because I like to hunt with shotgun anyway. So I squeeze into the giant pole shed between all the people and conduct a full ocular assessment of the area. I happened to be shading to the Ruger table when a gun rack catches my eye. It has green on the bottom, just like the ones we had at Gander years ago. Aside from that there was little to pay attention to except this short little rifle with a fair sized muzzle-brake on the end. It was very light, and felt really good to hold up. It was a Ruger American Ranch rifle. So I had to see, why the brake? It was chambered in 450 Bushmaster. I had never heard of such a thing, but judging by the name I was guessing this originated somewhere in an AR and got turned into a hunting cartridge. So, I pulled my phone out and did a search on it. Rave review, rave review, rave review. Ok, well I'm sure with this being almost a specialty round the ammo has to be through the roof. $25.99 a box of 20 Hornady cartridges. Wait, What?! So, I decided to bring the thing to the counter and just ask the guy about it. He rambled off on this long story about how Michigan and other states are actually modifying their firearm deer season regs to allow this cartridge and a select handful of other "straight walled cartridges" to be used in their "shotgun zone". Indiana and Ohio, and maybe Iowa are involved in this as well. So, hence Ruger making a rifle to match the round. This was not the 7mm-08 I came here for. But. I just couldn't watch as my friend went through a 4 hour line wait alone, so I bought it. Impulse - probably, but what's done is done. So I went back to the fair on Saturday, sought out the Ruger tent, and even though it was way too late for remorse if that's what I was looking for, I started asking the pro staffers questions about it. They had my identical rifle laying on the table. After the guy raved about it for five minutes I said "I just bought one of these here yesterday". He reaches back and hands me a box of shells and says, "here, this will get you started". Day made. So they let me sit down with the exact gun I just bought, sited it, and was thinking man, I wish I had thicker clothes on. I fired it, and believe it or not, I'm still waiting for the recoil. For a gun that weighs 5.5lbs, and a round that shoots a 250gr bullet, the recoil was lighter than my 20gauge with slugs. The brake probably helped, but man. No remorse here. I don't know if anyone else has shot this round or has experience with it, but I am really excited to site it in, and try it out next fall. Sorry about the long post.

Posted on: 4/23 21:24:03

Re: 450 Bushmaster
LSF Member
I have a 450 bushmaster upper on my AR. The round is awesome. Extremly accurate, deadly, light recoil and inexpensive!

Posted on: 4/23 22:23:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page