Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Need help with burnt electrical trolling motor plug
LSF Member
A couple years ago I bought a Yar-Craft 1785bt. It did not have a bowmount trolling motor on it, but it did have a 12v Minn Kota transom mount on it. I had the boat serviced and checked over by a well known reputable dealership/service center in my area. They said that the boat was pre wired for 24 volts. I sold the transom mount trolling motor and bought a new 80lb Minn Kota Terrova and mounted that on the boat. It has and still works flawslessly.

Last year I bought a Minn Kota Vetor 3x steer 24v 70lb transom munt trolling motor to mount on the back of the boat. I bought the motor cheap. I immediately took it to a certified Minn Kota repair center and had the motor gone over and serviced. That service center told me that the motor needed a complete rebuild, so I had them rebuild the Vector. I had them show me that it worked as new after the work was done.

Today I installed the Minn Kota Vector on the transom (I had my Terrova unplugged at the bow) and plugged it into the power plug on the transom area. The Vector works perfect. I unplug the Vector then go to the bow and plug in my Terrova. Turn on the Terrova and it works fine. My wife then comes out into the garage to see the new transom mount Vector. I plug the Vector in and the plug on the Terrova (still plugged in on the bow) starts smoking. I quickly unplug the Vector at the transom and go to the bow to turn the Terrova on and it will not. I unplug the Terrova and open the male plug and the 12v hole on the Marinco 12/24v plug is burnt. I had the positive wires in the 24v holes and the negative wires in the negative hole on the inside of the Marinco 12/24v male plugs on both trolling motors.

My questions-
Why when the motors are plugged in by themselves, do they work fine?

Why did the plug fry when I had both trolling motors plugged in at the same time?

Will I only be able to have 1 trolling motor plugged in at a time?

Is there or could there be a wiring issue between the plug ins at the bow and transom( even thought a reputable service center told me that everything checked out fine) that can be fixed and how do I go about checking and fixing it myself?

Is there anybody in the Central Minnesota area that would be willing to help me figure this out? I am not good with electrical issues

Posted on: 7/16 22:41:24
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Need help with burnt electrical trolling motor plug
Staff Team
From Mayer , MN
Two guesses would be that there was a weak connection at the plug that fried or that something was wired wrong with the rear that used to be only be running 12 volt. Gonna have to trace wires and verify voltages.

Posted on: 7/17 17:13:32

LSF Member
From Mn
Central Minnesota? Where? I may be able to help.

Posted on: 7/18 12:08:18

LSF Member
I got it figured out. who ever wired the boat before I bought it had a red jumper on a red/blue positive terminal and a red/blue jumper on a red terminal.

Posted on: 7/18 20:49:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page