Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Fall bait options?
LSF Member
From EGF, MN
I am fairly new to fishing for eyes in the fall. I am wondering what bait do you guys prefer? Shiners, Redtails, creek chubs, chubs? Or something else..? Where can you buy redtails and creek chubs? And how expensive? I wont be fishing until the end of september, so i am hoping the minnow bite is on by then.

Posted on: 2012/9/8 11:50
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Fall bait options?
LSF Member
From St. Cloud & Nisswa, MN
I perfer either red tail chubs or creek chubs, although walleyes in certain lakes seem to key in on large shiners. I've even seen lakes that were great chub lakes change from year to year to shiners. I believe it is a direct connection to the a successful cisco forage base from year to year. River shiners look like tullibee.
Also, don't forget about frogs. Walleye will gorge themselves on them when they enter the shallows to hibernate in the mud for the winter. The window is very short but can be outstanding.
Any good bait shop will have chubs..... for awhile, and as the supply gets lower the price can sky rocket. I catch my own and keep them alive until prime time. A tradition my Father and Uncles passed down that I truely enjoy. Besides I live for chasing huge fall walleye; with the best bait that gets bit. Not only quality but quanity and price, definitely are also considerations in keeping minnows.
The minnow bite is always on, but as fall keeps getting colder, the big minnow bite just gets hotter and hotter.
As the sun goes down, the shallow crankbaits come out though; and the chubs can rest up until the next afternoon.

Posted on: 2012/9/8 13:06

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes/Fargo, ND
The biggest redtails and rainbow chubs I can find!

I'm about 50/50 using live bait and large plastics in the fall such as Trigger X.

Posted on: 2012/9/8 14:56

LSF Member
Crawlers were working last weekend ,but I agree redtails are the best just come with a price last weekend they were 9 bucks a dozen so I stuck with crawlers, this coming weekend I am going to try some lindy river rockers I just got.http://www.lakestatefishing.com/uploads/smil493dac93dab69.gif

Posted on: 2012/9/8 21:11

LSF Member
From EGF, MN
Thanks for the help guys! I can catch creek chubs in the stream by our cabin, so I might have to give that a try. I really don't wanna spend 9 bucks on bait! Do you slow troll them on a rig or vertical jig? I have some lindy river rockers and salmo hornets I plan on trying for the night bite. I am really pumped for fall fishing!

Posted on: 2012/9/8 21:56

LSF Member
From Bemidji, MN
Me and my buddy got out this morning for awhile before it got too windy on Bemidji we got off by 10:30. 32 mph winds! We stopped in at tabbers and the chubs and redtails where 10.99 i belive. This cool down this week dropped the temps down to around 67 when last week they where still 72. The bite has really shifted over to a minnow bite now from the leech and crawler bite. We used a jig and fatthead and worked out great for us catching around 30 fish in a couple hrs. The bite is really starting to heat up.

Attach file:

jpg  2012-09-08_11_32_00.jpg (297.59 KB)
8829_504c2a17a4f2c.jpg 564X770 px

Posted on: 2012/9/9 0:26

Northcountry Guide Service
Serving the Bemidji Area since 2002
www.northcountryguides.com

651-399-3179

LSF Member
From EGF, MN
Wow! Nice looking fish Nick! Those babies have some size to them! It doesn't get any better than that! I fished last weekend and it seemed like the crawler bite was starting to really slow down. Thanks for the prices, so now I can start saving up;)

Posted on: 2012/9/9 8:03

Staff Team
From Annandale
Thats a nice mess of fish. The temps are sure falling fast, and that brutal wind yesterday could only help. Thanks for the report!

Posted on: 2012/9/9 9:27

LSF Member
From St. Cloud & Nisswa, MN
Quote:

LandonA wrote:
Do you slow troll them on a rig or vertical jig? I am really pumped for fall fishing!

There is a time to jig and a time to lindy rig minnows. As fall progresses fish will be in tighter schools.... less spread out. This makes hovering over them with a jig a good tactics.
If fish are spread out along a break or the schools are large, lindy rigging can't be beat. Also, if fish are pressured stick with rigging to get more bites.

Posted on: 2012/9/9 10:50

LSF Member
From Bemidji, MN
We're a long ways out from "fall" fishing in my opinion. Don't even need a jacket yet... ;)

Don't forget about small to medium sucker minnows, if the price tag of creekers scares you off. Rainbows are great, but tough to find in the big chunker sizes often times.

Posted on: 2012/9/11 20:21

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page