Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 4 ... 13 »

Grindstone Lake Ice Fishing
LSF Member
I ice fished Grindstone for the first time yesterday, I didn't go far from the access and caught 5 trout, I would like explore the lake but I wonder if anyone knows of spots to watch out for like springs or spots that have bad ice every year, also does anyone have luck catching lakers in the winter and how and where to try for them, thanks!

Posted on: 2013/1/14 17:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Grindstone Lake Ice Fishing
LSF Member
From Zimmerman
Welcome! Grindstone is a popular topic right now with a bunch of us here who love to ice fish for Trout, smelt and whatever else you may catch in it. Do a search in the search area for Grindstone Lake and read the info that has been passed on over the years. Reinhard has fished this lake for 40yrs and he is a wealth of knowledge. I might try and get there for a Wednesday fish this week...if my wife doesn't find out... . If you caught 5 Trout, you did better then a lot of other guys on the opener. It must speak for your knowledge of catching them already.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 19:17

LSF Member
From andover
you can PM me if you like. you did great getting 5. get on the main Grindstone thread. probably didn't see it but we have a main Grind thread going just a few threads down from yours. i will gladly let you know what i have experienced on the lake. good luck.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 19:38

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

LSF Member
Yeah I talked to some other guys that were fishing there and they said 5 was a good number. I caught 4 rainbows and 1 brown trout. The guys I talked with on the lake also said it was somewhat rare to catch a brown through the ice. 2 came on a gold forage minnow with larva, 1 on a swedish pimple with a minnow head and 2 on a small slender spoon with larva. I also caught 2 suckers wich i have never done through ice either. I was only in 4 feet of water and I was sight fishing, I saw a ton of rainbow trout but it was hard to get them to bight, the brown trout I caught was the only one I saw. It was ton of fun, kind of a shame that I live 20 minutes away and have never fished it on the ice. I've only ever caught one other trout in my life and that was on Grindstone in the summer 10 years ago until yesterday other than 1 lake trout up north. I'm hooked now!

Posted on: 2013/1/14 21:18

LSF Member
From St. micheal
Well if everyone keeps talking about it on here Thier will not b a trout left in it in a couple years

Posted on: 2013/1/14 21:59

LSF Member
From andover
i have been fishing the lake for more than 40 years and the DNR has stocked the lake with trout longer than that and the lake has never ran out of trout.

Grindstone for years was stocked with rainbows only once a year. ice fishing became more popular and now it is stocked with bows twice a year and has good carry over with "un-caught" trout every year.

if there was no interest in trout in this lake, the DNR would not stock as many. you will see less traffic on the ice as the season progresses. this is not a walleye lake so this lake does not get fished as hard as lake that do have them.

Rainbows, browns, and lakers get stocked every year. this can be a challenging lake also. i get skunked from time to time. but that's not because of lack of fish. this is a deep lake and a lot of fish are suspended during winter and summer. outside of trout opener in soft water, this lake does not get that much pressure. there are many times when i'm the only one on the lake or maby two or three boats at times.

lot's of people get frustrated as well with this lake. this lake has much feed for the game fish with smelt and minnows ect. that compete with your presentation. the boat landing during open water can accomidate larger boats for a limited time as well. normaly by mid summer only smaller boats can be landed there because the landing gets shallow.

i'm thankfull that we do have people fish for trout there. without them and interest in trout, fewer trout would be stocked. the state record brown trout came out of here at one time and i believe there is another roaming the depth. good luck.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 8:17

LSF Member
From Zimmerman
Are you still going to be heading out tomorrow Reinhard? I'm thinking about maybe heading over. I'd only have a few hours to fish though.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 9:32

LSF Member
From andover
i pulled something in my back yesterday from just sitting down. got out of bed horizontaly today. this used to happen to me once a year when i worked. so it's a no go tommorow. realy wanted to go, should be a good day. i'll be posting a GTG soon for a day of fishing and some eating at noon on the main Grind thread. good luck.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 10:03

LSF Member
I thought the whole purpose of this fishing forum was to share reports and tips with fellow fisherman, and I don't think my post will cause the demise of the trout population in Grindstone lake either, thank you to everyone who posted tips for Grindstone!

Posted on: 2013/1/15 20:20

LSF Member
From Zimmerman
Quote:

BenM wrote:
I thought the whole purpose of this fishing forum was to share reports and tips with fellow fisherman, and I don't think my post will cause the demise of the trout population in Grindstone lake either, thank you to everyone who posted tips for Grindstone!

X2

Posted on: 2013/1/15 22:12

(1) 2 3 4 ... 13 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page