Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 4 »

Grouse on public land
Supporting Member
From SOUTH SAINT PAUL
Anyone ever go for grouse on public land? Looking to get out this Saturday for a bit with my boy. Somewhere not too far out from the cities. Hinckley area preferably. Any help or suggestions is always appreciated.

Posted on: 9/25 8:47:04

Re: Grouse on public land
LSF Member
From St. Paul, Hackensack-Longville-Leech
Quote:

KELTICREBEL wrote:
Anyone ever go for grouse on public land? Looking to get out this Saturday for a bit with my boy. Somewhere not too far out from the cities. Hinckley area preferably. Any help or suggestions is always appreciated.

Absolutely....plenty of birds to be had. There are WMA's specific to grouse habitat. Not a ton around Hinckley area but take a look

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/rgma/index.html

Posted on: 9/25 9:55:41
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Mille Lacs/Landfall
Hinkley is pretty far south for grouse. Some can be had in Nemadji, that is miles of public land not far from the cities. CC Andrews can be good only about 20 min. north of Hinkley. Tons of public land near Moose Lake can be good for grouse too.

Posted on: 9/25 10:19:24

Supporting Member
From SOUTH SAINT PAUL
Thanks for the input guys. We used to lease land real close to nemadji always had grouse around there. Don't lease the land anymore so just looking for other areas

Posted on: 9/25 11:22:45

LSF Member
From central mn
Check out the WMA's in mille lacs county,we always bagged ruffies there.

PS~ TAKE CARE as the ticks have become active again.

Posted on: 9/25 12:02:40

LSF Member
From St. Paul
Take a look at the RGMA's. There's one just north of Hinckley. Like others have said, heading further north would increase your odds.

Posted on: 9/25 12:28:26

LSF Member
Yes there's always grouse on public land , and CaughtABuzz hit the nail on the head when he spoke of grouse habitat , finding proper habitat is so important when searching for grouse . I would go as far north as you can .. The long range forcast for Saturday looks great up "north", hope you and your son have a fun time . And yes always check for ticks ..

Posted on: 9/25 15:58:36

LSF Member
I always hunt public land for grouse and I always thought most other people do too The 40 acre and 80 acre private land is deer hunting I have and I am not about to go tromping through it during bow season to get a couple birds just not enough land to do that.

Like someone said before Nemadji is a great place they have a grouse management area I usually do well at.
If you are looking at Hinckley try the Sandstone wildlife management area. I have pulled a few birds from there
Solona state forest is worth a check as well as the milacs wma

Posted on: 9/28 0:57:25

LSF Member
From Duluth
Remember if you're wanting to hunt Nemadji,lots of atv on the weekend,good for walking mon-thurs.

Posted on: 9/28 6:16:48

LSF Member
Quote:

Joehere wrote:
Remember if you're wanting to hunt Nemadji,lots of atv on the weekend,good for walking mon-thurs.

The trick is to walk were the atvs cant go. I hunt it on the weekends and yes it is busy but you can get away from it. Too many times people say a place sucks because they wont leave the gravel or logging trail.

Last time I went to Nemadji the guy I was with only wanted to walk on the trails. Guess how many birds he saw. 0 I said forget you and walked off trail and I flushed 18.

Posted on: 9/28 23:31:07

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page