Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Big and Little Fork rivers
LSF Member
From Perham
Anyone have update on the status of Big and Little Fork rivers? Have they let loose or are the they iced over pretty good from the colder temps? How has the water clarity been on the Rainy? Any debris floating?

Posted on: 4/2 9:07:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Big and Little Fork rivers
LSF Member
They're locked up and based on the 10 day forecasts I don't see either going before April 14. There's a small (5'?) strip of slush on the west side of the Littlefork for a few hundred yards and a couple small off color spots on the Bigfork. In fact the snow isn't even off yet.

You could probably take a wheeler most anywhere upstream and down to within 100' of the mouth on either. Not advocating that but I did see a couple wheelers close to the mouth in the last week.

The Rainy is fairly low and clarity is good. However this morning there was more broken ice and thin ice sheets from as soon as you can see the river going west Hwy 11 from I Falls to Birchdale than I've seen in 2 weeks which is a little strange cause this was the warmest morning since last Wednesday.

The forecast through Friday doesn't look favorable in terms of cold.

Posted on: 4/2 17:58:20

LSF Member
No need to worry about the forks messing up the clarity and bite this year ,as all is quite behind as for the ice out progression on the river so far . The upcoming forecasted cold thru next weekend is not going to advance this process vey much either . It's a cold go out there right now , so bundle up if you go , and be prepared for issues of some sort , as "stuff happens" when it's cold out . That all being said , there are a few fish being caught , if your in the right place , and at the right time , with the right presentation . Seems to be more males at the present , but I think that's a good thing for the keeps ... Also make sure to update your self on the new border laws up there this year , as they have definitely changed ... once next week comes I think the bite willbe better with the water temp potentially rising then , at least somewhat ,and that bite won't be for long as the season closes on the 15th.... Get um !!

Posted on: 4/2 18:46:46

LSF Member
From Perham
Thanks for the great info ufdapete and bigfatber. Nice having good intel when we live so far away, I am probably speaking for a lot of other guys as well. Much appreciated.

Posted on: 4/2 20:20:55

LSF Member
From Blaine
Season closes the 14th (saturday) and not the 15th.... Same date every year no mater what it falls on.

Posted on: 4/4 11:23:33

LSF Member
From Park Rapids, MN
So what is new in the regulations? I thought it was always April 14th and 2 fish 19.5" and up get tossed back. Still can't fish Canada side without Canada license and remote access pass.......what am I missing ?????

Posted on: 4/4 11:31:39

LSF Member
From Perham
Tmj21 pretty sure that covers it, it’s been that way for little while.

Posted on: 4/5 9:05:29

LSF Member
From Perham
Carefully measure your fish too. We had one that was right on 19.5 not knowing it was that close. I mean it was right on the line, couldn’t of been any closer. We got checked when we came in and ended up throwing one back. Probably didn’t live. It had been in the well for a little while. Wish we could of just kept it but the CO was nice about it and just gave us verbal warning. We were only keeping them if they were under 19” not even wanting to flirt with the chance of being over but was small lesson to pay more attention.

Posted on: 4/5 9:15:10

LSF Member
From Park Rapids, MN
Well it wasn't the first time this year I've head someone say "New rules"..... well I haven't seen new rules in a number of years and it made me a little confused. I didn't think I saw anything new in the book. We also were very careful on length. We actually didn't catch many flirting on the line. A lot 14-18" and the 20"+ for the rest. Good numbers of 20-24" fish but could only squeak out 2 that went 26" but super fat over Easter weekend

Posted on: 4/5 10:56:15

LSF Member
Quote:

tmj21 wrote:
So what is new in the regulations? I thought it was always April 14th and 2 fish 19.5" and up get tossed back. Still can't fish Canada side without Canada license and remote access pass.......what am I missing ?????

Briefly and in addition to non-resident license and outdoors card...

-no live bait purchased in US except nightcrawlers in artificial bedding
-no alcoholic beverages on board
-know and follow Ontario boating safety regulations - somewhat different than MN or Coast Guard
-Google US Customs and Border Patrol AND Canada Border Servicies Agency for crossing regulations

From Ontario Fishing Regs, effective Jan 1, 2018
"Rainy River - from dam in Fort
Frances downstream to Wheeler’s
Point at Lake of the Woods.
Lake Whitefish S-4 and C-2.
Yellow Perch S-15 and C-10.
Walleye S - 2 and C - 2, must be less
than 46 cm (18.1 in.) from Mar. 1 - Apr. 14.
Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass S - 0 and C - 0 from Jan. 1 - June 30.
Muskellunge must be greater than 137 cm (54 in.)."

For Region 5 (includes Rainy River) - http://files.ontario.ca/environment-and-energy/fishing/2018/2018-fmz-5-english.pdf

Entire regs - https://dr6j45jk9xcmk.cloudfront.net/documents/5046/2018-ontario-fishing-regulations-summary-english.pdf

Penalties for violations are usually much more than MN violations - think 4 digits instead of 3. Do your homework, read the fine print, make calls to Customs and the Ontario MNR if you have questions.

Posted on: 4/7 7:13:44

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page