1994 Yamaha 70tlrd question

Home Forums General Forums The Garage and DIY 1994 Yamaha 70tlrd question

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    arneb04
    Participant

Hey guys. I need some help for my cousin if anyone has experience with this. He bought a boat from our grandpa. It’s a 1994 Lund with a 70 Yamaha 2 stroke. The motor runs great, but it has an issue with the alarm going off. So what we’ve tried is taking the oil reservoir off, cleaned it out completely, had some old sludge with it. Refilled with good oil. The float works, and the gauge reads correctly at the dash. The second thing we looked at was the engine temp. It seems to be just fine, feel the water coming out the per hole and it’s cool to cold, no issue there. When the boat is idling and trolling, we’re good for an hour with no alarm, then it randomly comes on. We rev it up with the idle stick a few times, or take off with the engine under load the alarm goes away. Then it’s good for another hour trolling. Could it be an impeller issue? Just figure if the temp is fine it should be ok, but does the alarm indicate volume issues? Anyone with advice is surely appreciated!

One Word - HUMMINBIRD
      @rdshuntclub
      LakerChaser93
      Participant

The water coming out of the pee hole is cool to cold? Shouldn’t it be warmer than the water temp? I would run it for awhile to let the motor warm up and check the temp again, if it’s still cold, then you’ve narrowed down your issue.

rwilliam
        Participant

I owned a PRO 60 Yamaha. The only time the alarm would go off is when the Oil in the reservoir was low.
          Have you tried filling the reservoir to the top ?

arneb04
          Participant

Sorry bout that, this site doesnt like mobile posts apparently. So the reservoir is full. I used to have this exact motor on my boat only 10 years newer and I traded it for a newer 75 4-stroke (good decision). Mine did not have the dash gauges as this one does. The dash gauge shows the correct level of oil, and shows the correct engine temp. An hour of trolling causes the alarm, revving the engine stops the alarm, after another hour the alarm comes on again. I don’t know for sure it has nothing to do with oil, but I know on mine when I would get into muck and it would quit pumping water the alarm would sound. And revving the engine shouldn’t have anything to do with the oil? I also don’t know that those were the only two things the alarm is for. Are there other things that cause the alarm to go off?

One Word - HUMMINBIRD
            @rdshuntclub
            arneb04
            Participant

Also I should point out again that it is pumping water through the pee indicator and the water is cool to the touch so no apparent temp issues.

One Word - HUMMINBIRD
              @rdshuntclub
              rwilliam
              Participant

I was thinking as you suggested earlier it may be an impeller issue.
                I replaced the one on my PRO 60 and it’s not a bad job to do.
                You may need someone else to help with the lower unit though.

dew2
                Participant

heres my guess..the pee hole (telltale) is cold water you say,but it should pump hot water when the thermostat opens to cool the water jacket.when the thermostat is closed there is a bypass for the telltale pumping lake water past the waterjacket. the tell tale is only there to see the impeller is correctly working.i’d check the thermostat first. mabey use a inferred thermometer on the water jacket to see the real temp. guages arent trustworthy

Of all the things I've ever done,
                  I aint never had Too much fun.
                  arneb04
                  Participant

Thanks fellas. I think my cousin is going to replace both the impeller and the thermostat. Dew – that scenario seems the most likely to me. I read a few posts on iboats about a stuck poppet valve, or in yamaha’s terms a “pressure control valve” – any experience with those?

One Word - HUMMINBIRD
                    @rdshuntclub
                    MasterGopherHunter
                    Participant

Some motors have different alarms for different issues, so if that motor does have multiple alarms that could help further diagnose whether it’s an overheating alarm (probably a steady sound) or an oil alarm (probably beeping).

Since you explained that you addressed the oil stuff and the gauges show correctly, I agree with the others and suspect that it’s a water issue especially since you mention the alarm goes away when you rev it up. When it runs at an idle, is the tell-tale hole peeing out a steady stream?

I had an issue with a newer Mercury this year that the overheating alarm came on and it would not pee out water at an idle, after replacing the impeller for regular maintenance. Turns out that the coupler to connect the lower unit water tube to the upper unit water tube was also replaced, but it wasn’t noticed that the new coupler was much shorter than the old coupler so the water tubes were not really connected. So, pay attention to that when you remove the lower unit and replace the impeller.

Ret-ro

I had 97 yamaha 90hp that acted similar and the thermostat was the culprit if I remember right.

dew2
                        Participant

Abit, that shouldnt be the problem at low/slow speed.Is it fixed? what fixed it?

dew2
                          Participant

arneb04 wrote:
                            Thanks fellas. I think my cousin is going to replace both the impeller and the thermostat. Dew – that scenario seems the most likely to me. I read a few posts on iboats about a stuck poppet valve, or in yamaha’s terms a “pressure control valve” – any experience with those?

Abit, that shouldnt be the problem at low/slow speed.Is it fixed? what fixed it?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.