2 stage snow thrower

Home Forums General Forums The Garage and DIY 2 stage snow thrower

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    orandausa

I need to get a new 2 stage snow thrower. My last one was a Craftsman that I had for 27 years.

Looking at a 30″ bucket.

I was sold on Husqvarna but the the reviews are really bad.

What do you guys like?

What have you had good experiences from and bad?

Yes, Yes that is a 39" Pike.
      MarkBruzek
      Participant

Ive got a larger Airens. Ive had it for 7 winters. The reason I chose them is that the only plastic on the unit was a belt guard, knobs on controls and the fuel tank.

Its a Briggs engine so you can get parts anywhere if needed. No issues other than a sheer pin when I swallowed a fist sized rock.

Pro Staff for myself...
        PatK
        Participant

I had a Husqvarna for 3 years and hated the bleeping thing. The shoot was constantly plugging on the plowed snow at the end of driveway even if there wasn’t a lot of wet snow.
          I finally sold it and bought an Ariens. In 8 years it’s gone through everything I’ve needed it to.

"In my travels I've found that if a man uses the phrase "Common Sense" to defend his position, he possesses very little himself." Will Rogers
          iizfishin
          Participant

I have a Toro that i bought from HD 6 yrs ago and it works awesome.The control for the shoot is a joystick and works great. Starts on a time by pulling the cord even thought t has electric start. Also after sitting for the summer in the shed it starts on the second pull.

nofishfisherman
            Participant

iizfishin wrote:
              I have a Toro that i bought from HD 6 yrs ago and it works awesome.The control for the shoot is a joystick and works great. Starts on a time by pulling the cord even thought t has electric start. Also after sitting for the summer in the shed it starts on the second pull.

I’ll second the Toro. I don’t even bother with the electric start because it starts on the first pull every time. The joystick chute control is awesome, probably my favorite feature. No more turning a crank after every pass and you can adjust the direction and distance you’re throwing the snow on the fly.

I’ve had it for 4-5 years now and its been flawless.

I got an absolute steal of a deal on a brand new one a few years ago through a family connection that works for Toro. Felt like I hit the lottery the day it arrived.

arneb04
              Participant

Are the snowblowers aligned with companies the same as lawnmowers? Because my Ariens riding lawnmower is made by AYP and most parts are interchangeable with Husqvarna. Including the garbage front axle which was apparently welded by a librarian. Genuine Husqvarna replacement welded exactly the same… Other than that I like the Ariens stuff but they don’t put their brand on household lawn mowers anymore, not sure on snowblowers. My snowblower is an old, old craftsman, like, my grandpas old craftsman. Never had a problem, but I agree with above, if you can avoid the hand crank shoot you should, it’s just awful. But it was free to me so I’ll use it til it dies.

One Word - HUMMINBIRD
                @rdshuntclub
                Dragonsm
                Participant

Plenty of different choices out there, but the big ones to focus in on would be either Toro, Ariens, or Honda (I currently don’t own any of these and I’ll explain below)

From what I have heard/read, the new Toro’s Anti Clogging Feature works well, and the machine’s are solid. Toro doesn’t make a 30″ model, but their 28″ machine (OHXE) has a good motor for the size and if I were looking at Toro, it’d probably be the machine I’d look at/get.

Ariens, best bang for their buck has to be the Deluxe 28 SHO (Super High Output). Has the same size motor as their 30″ deluxe model….but can clear more snow an hour than the 30″. Ariens came out with an EFI motor for some of their models….spendier, and everything I’ve read……people have been opting for a carb’d engine over the EFI….one because it is new, and 2, if fuel issues do occur, it’ll be a spendy repair at a dealer vs a possible carb swap or repair at home.

Honda, spendy but good also. I’ve seen where the new HSS928 models have had clogging issues. The HS928 models were solid.

For myself, I currently own a Simplicity Signature Pro (Commercial) Series, and I don’t think their is another brand out there that has as stout of a frame as this. Handle bars are C channel steel. They are a solid machine also, however you don’t hear much about them due to lack of marketing and varying independent dealers (whereas toro and Ariens are sold on almost every street corner) If you have a dealer around you, Simplicity is another brand worth checking out.

Someday, I may just make a road trip up to Canada and pick up a Yamaha snowblower. These machines are the cats meow (even over honda) however they aren’t sold in the US.

Good Luck in your decision. Be sure to focus on engine size before bucket size and avoid the 3 stage machines (Troy-bilt with the middle auger pulling back) Mostly just a marketing gimmick.

Steve

BrianGross
                  Participant

Arians is what I have been using for my 32x100ft driveway and no problems here.

orandausa

I am leaning towards the Toro 28″. They took almost all the plastic off it this year. I like the auto steering assist, joy stick chute control. However that is just more stuff to break. They have a deal where when you buy it new and buy a maint kit at the same time you get an additional year on the warranty.

Toro has a good name and a long history.

The funny thing is I won’t even be using this things this year. I am having shoulder surgery Thursday and will be out of commission most of snow season.

Yes, Yes that is a 39" Pike.
                      packerbacker
                      Participant

….my bad didnt see the date

I had fun once and it was aweful
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.