2017 Trout Opener

Home Forums Species Specific Forums Trout & Salmon 2017 Trout Opener

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    lurkingwalter
    Participant

Who all is planning on heading out for winter trout opener? I would like to try it this year. what are your favorite baits/presentations for winter trout? I will be targeting rainbows.

kooshnitz
      Participant

I think I will be out this weekend as well. I usually use bucktail and cisco tail. Drill lots of holes and move around until I mark some. thinking of headed up to Ely area one day.

lurkingwalter
        Participant

I will be targeting rainbows. You use a bucktail an cisco tail for lake trout I am guessing correct?

I have heard from a couple guys that a common tactic is a jigging spoon with wax worms for rainbows in the winter. can anyone else attest to that?

AutumnFever
          Participant

Not sure for me as I don’t believe there is a season for the Crosby area this year.

Bobb-o
            Participant

Not sure where you got that info? Just checked the DNR website and it says Allen and Pleasant are the only lakes closed in Crow Wing County.

Remember, the most important thing you can give is your time.
              lurkingwalter
              Participant

In my searches, I have heard multiple reports of trout being caught in 7-12 feet in the winter. Is this true of most lakes?

If so, im glad I did some research because I was planning on starting in 40-50 feet which is where I have caught them in the summer.

KyleT
                Participant

I think it really depends on the type of trout you’re fishing. Rainbows I’ve caught in quite a variety of depths from 5 feet to 45 feet. The biggest thing seems to just be willing to drill lots of holes until you find them and to keep that bait moving. They’ll chase the bait all the way to the ice hole. I’ve even have them hit the transducer on the vexilar. Buckshots and similar small spoons tipped with waxworms have always worked well for us.

AutumnFever
                  Participant

Bobb-o wrote:
                    Not sure where you got that info? Just checked the DNR website and it says Allen and Pleasant are the only lakes closed in Crow Wing County.

After further review I didn’t read it right and you are correct

Bobb-o
                    Participant

AutumnFever wrote:

Bobb-o wrote:

You had me worried as I will be down there this weekend chasing them on the pits, had to look it up!!

Remember, the most important thing you can give is your time.
                      zachd
                      Participant

Rainbows I usually set up from 4fow to 10fow arrive early before light and drill your holes let everything settle and I usually sight fish them.. Many times I have caught them jigging a few inches below the hole.

lurkingwalter
                        Participant

ok thanks for the info! I was hoping I could catch them out deep with my vexilar but I guess we will just post up in the shallows for the first couple hours.

Reinhard
                          Participant

Zachd had it right about rainbows. If you fishing for rainbows, your best bet is the shallows. I fish in less than 10 feet most of the time. I have caught them in deep water but they are in the top 10 feet under the ice and often just under the ice. Brook trout and splake are also found in the shallows during hard water which has been my experience in the Arrowhead reagion of stream trout lakes.

I like using small spoons with minnow heads, panfish jigs with euro larva or waxies, or sometimes just a small hook with just one waxie when things are slow. Minnows are not allowed in designated trout waters and you do need a trout stamp to fish these lakes. Non designated trout lakes allow the use of live bait and a trout stamp is needed in order to keep trout. I fish Grindstone a lot and that is a non designated trout lake. I also have caught brown trout in the shallower water as well. I’ve caught my biggest while using a tip up with a shiner [non designated trout lake]. good luck.

http://www.sausageheavenoutdoors.com

Die young as old as possible.

AutumnFever
                            Participant

Bobb-o wrote:

AutumnFever wrote:

Bobb-o wrote:

You had me worried as I will be down there this weekend chasing them on the pits, had to look it up!!

I will try to maybe make a go at it this weekend also

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.