Back to shore. 2021

Home Forums Lake & River Forums Minnesota River Back to shore. 2021

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    orandausa

I have only been out to the banks of the MN river in time this spring. It was a night of changes but it was productive.

The river is really low for this time of year, current was slow, a full size tree is now laying on top of my spot and half way into the river, and it was like 35W with bike traffic.

I stuck with same presentation. My neighbor switched things up and out fished me 4 to 1. He had to leave early and I took his spot and retied to mimic his setup. Game changer. Proof that if it isn’t working try something else.

With this rain the water levels are rising and we will see if the patterns change.

Tight lines all.

My first report on the new LSF!

Yes, Yes that is a 39" Pike.
      skippy1961
      Participant

orandausa

I made it out Sunday from 1:30 – 6:30pm. Only two fish caught. A Drum and Sucker. The Drum will now be cut bait.

The same spot the day before the place was on fire. My neighbor caught a 30″ and a 23″ Channel Cat. Day late dollar short.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by orandausa.
          Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          orandausa

I had another therapy session on the banks of the MN river. I have a boat but walking down to shore is so much easier.

Had some good decompression/ therapy time last night. Only 3 fish, tiny Channel, 20″ Carp and 18″ Drum but an exciting wild life night. I saw a Hawk grab a “tweety bird” in flight, had beavers swim within 10ft of me, watched young eagles in what appeared to be “touch and go” at the water surface.
            I was amazed at how low the water is. Never seen it this low. I would normally be sitting in 10 – 12’ of water.

Fished from 6p – 10:30pm. Caught 3, missed 3. There is almost no current.

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            go4it
            Participant

Nice!!

Back in the 80’s while at UND did some shore fishing on the Red looking for cats but only got carp, some so big you could not turn them and they took all your line.  That was the place to let the stress just ooze out of one’s soul – so relaxing.   I just watch the MnDNR webinar on cat fishing, the difference between flat head and channel cats was interesting. From preferred habitat to what baits to use, a lot more to it than I thought.

So I assume you keep the cats for table fare.  Any secrets to preparing them?

orandausa

I do %99 catch and release.

The water temp was 80. I am not keeping anything this time of year.

No secret prep to them. If I cook them it is shore lunch and the fryer. My wife really likes to grill or bake and play with spices and technique.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.