Bass question

Home Forums Species Specific Forums Bass Bass question

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    apollo
    Participant

At what lengh and weight would you consider mounting a bass?

apollo
      Participant

I had caught a 19.5 inch bass weight 5 lbs wondering if people would consider mounting a fish like that. I released it but for future catches I was wondering if that would be a fish others would mount?

BaldBassBoy
        Participant

Whatever you believe your PB catch should/will be. I personally thought 5 lbs was the magic#, but I know there are 6+lber’s out there. I’m glad I did not mount my first 5lber, the following week I caught one that was a few oz bigger than my PB.

Whatever that magic# is for you, you will enjoy your choice of having it mounted.

CarlClan
          Participant

7+

FLAG!!!!!!
            Kirk

How much a fish weighs or how long it is doesn’t really mean if I mount it or not, it is the story behind the fish that would determine if I put it on the wall. When I look at my mounts I remember the exact moment I caught that fish and who I was with and don’t care how long it was or how much it weighed…….Kirk

Only 2 defining forces ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011

Basspastor
              Participant

If it was a state record. Anything short of that I can remember through pictures.

AKA The B.P., "Banned" Pastor, Bass Poacher, Bass Putz, Bass Pundit, Bow(fin) Pro.
                SpoonbillSlayer
                Participant

I agree with Kirk. Size isn’t always important, it can also be the story behind it.

Size wise, I guess in MN, anything over 5lbs or 20″ would be considered a trophy. But if you don’t Bass fish much, then a 4lber might be a Personal Best worth mounting. Now diehard Bass guys may never get anything under 8 mounted! Even then they probably would get a Replica. Just depends on what you want to do.

Good luck in your search for a Lunker!

SDDLSK
                  Participant

Interesting to see the various viewpoints. As I pursue only bass, this topic has come up alot with the other guys at work that fish. A few of them wont mount any bass, because its not a walleye. The others seem to think around 6 lbs is when they would mount one. For me, its got to be huge, probably 7+ and then it would,without a doubt, be a replica. I die a little inside when I see people taking 4-5 lbs fish out of a body of water.

DrewFlu33
                    Participant

Replicas are now the same price as a skin mount at almost any taxidermist and you really can’t tell the difference in how they turn out. Take good photos and length and girth measurements and let those suckers go!

Makes the decision of what fish is worth of a mount much easier, at least from my perspective.

For MN, I’d say a bass would have to be over 20 inches for me to consider it. Over 22 before I would consider it a sure thing.

WhiteTips88
                      Participant

I never put any thought into what it would take for me to put a bass on the wall as I very rarely target them. However one nice January day a couple years ago I was tip up fishing for pike with sucker minnows and happened to land a 23.5″ 7lb 10oz Largemouth, I knew it was a big fish as I have caught quite a few 5+ pound fish while targeting pike before so I decided to put it on the wall. Honestly I can say I do not regret it one bit. If you think it would look good on the wall, put it up. My

OTIS
                        Participant

Im a tournament bass guy and can say there are alot of 5lbers out there. I mounted a 6.2lber I caught as 6lbs was my min. weight I told myself I would mount, the fish was also dying after being in the live well. It’s also about the memories.

"OTIS"
                          Anklefritz
                          Participant

There’s a pond and lake I fish a lot that is full of 5-6 lb large mouth. After seeing how many of these fish there are in the 5-6 range, I would have to say 7lbs plus. Almost every tournament I’ve fished someone catches a 5-6lb fish…not uncommon, but have yet to see a 7!

leechlaker
                            Participant

I say don’t mount anything unless you’re going to get a replica mount done. As others have pointed out, replicas cost about the same as a skin mount at most places, and there is really no reason to take a trophy fish out of the system rather than leaving it to grow and catch again.

And yes, I know this is an old thread :)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.