Beef Soup?

Home Forums General Forums Cooking & Recipes Beef Soup?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    chevysgeterdun
    Participant

I’ve got some beef soup bones from out quarter cow thawing out and I want to try to make some soup, I’ve never made soup before was thinking about starting out cold smoking the the soup bone meat with some Owens bbq hickory pellets, in the amazen tube smoker,beyond that any suggestions?

glenn57
      Participant

I make a lot of soups out of those type of bones. I usually just boil the bone. I also make a soup starter out of my garden stuff that I add, but you could just throw it all in and cook it all up. it includes cabbage, corn green beans tomatoes carrots celery onions, basically.

also when I boil the bone up I add bay leaves. I also add about a table spoon of beef broth cube or whatever.

Reinhard
        Participant

Make sure that the soup bone’s that you are using have marrow in them that is visible. The bone itself does nothing for flavor, it’s the marrow withing. Center cut marrow bones for example are the best. Slices of beef shank is another good one that has meat surrounding the bone. Beef neck bones have some meat on them. It is the meat on them that give off the flavor. Glen gave you some good pointers on beef soup from scratch. You could google beef soup bone recipe’s and get some different ideas as well. good luck.

http://www.sausageheavenoutdoors.com

Die young as old as possible.

glenn57
          Participant

the other thing I do is I usually never eat it the same day I cook it. I like to let it cool then stick in the frig overnite. that SETS the grease so you can skim it out. its a cholesteral thing!

I also make soup out of turkey carcasses……..best is a turkey that’s been cooked on a charcoal grill!!!!!!

one more ingredient, I am a garlic nut so I also add some of that!!!!!!!

BigWerm
            Participant

I’d smoke them first, then boil 8 cups with salt for a broth. You should be able to taste it if it’s beefy enough, if not add some bouillon cubes. If you like French Onion, or Beef French onion, I would use this recipe and substitute your broth for the beef stock it recommends.
              http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/french_onion_soup/

Crush 'EM
              dew2
              Participant

For some super beef flavor stick the bones in a 350 oven for 2 hours,Remove then crack the bone then into the stock.

Of all the things I've ever done,
                I aint never had Too much fun.
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.