Big Sandy Eagle Point Report 8/10/19

Home Forums Lake & River Forums Aitkin & McGregor Area Big Sandy Eagle Point Report 8/10/19

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Shannon Kruse
    Participant

This week’s report 8/10/19
      Sorry for slacking on reports, it’s been a bit of a whirlwind the last couple weeks! I had some family obligations that kept me from the lake. Can anyone else feel the chill in the air at night? Moonlight fishing… Yep, there starting to snap out there. I did make a few new adventures and visited some old ones.

Swan Lake, Pengilly
      Swan Lake has been on my hit list for some time. After a conversation in the cleaning shack with a park model resident he tempted me with the amount of 20” walleyes he has caught. I decided it was going to happen. I enlisted a partner and headed out early on Saturday morning. Unfortunately, we were met by some road construction and it delayed our timing. We arrived at the lake and went right to work using husky jerks as a locator bait. Unfortunately, the mapping on Swan isn’t the best. It took us awhile to figure out a trolling pattern without bumping weeds. We were blessed with right off the bat to start catching fish. The Pike made their presence almost immediately. They were followed by the bass and eventually the walleye. This lake is very clear, I think rated at around 13ft viewable. I need to spend some more time getting to know the ins and outs but its on my list to go back to.
      Let me know if you have any tips.

Walleyes and Crappies oh my!
      This last weekend did not disappoint! I see that the panfish fisherpeople are doing some damage out there on Big Sandy. Crappie Keith put out a good video on fishing the swim docks. He loves to use the Bobby Garland baby shad series. You will want to get out on the lake pretty early to avoid the recreational traffic. I brought up my “A” team this weekend and hit the lakes pretty hard. My daytime was spent chasing crappies and my nighttime chasing walleyes. I do protect the area lakes by not naming them. They are a great resource and should be protected. I had a great opportunity to bring Joes son “Gunner” out night fishing Saturday night and he did not disappoint! He was able to reel in as many walleyes as he wanted and in return he talked our ear off! Great Kid! We averaged 25-40 walleyes a night and strictly used plastics. Our biggest was 26”, 24” and a couple 21’s with to many at 13-14 to care. We pulled the paddle tails in 8-15FOW on a very clear lake. The moon and low wind made it amazing! I will never get sick of that night view. Both nights kept us out until the weeee hours, nope my body is not used to that. Things will only get better!!!! Also on a side note I have seen multiple reports of some catfish getting caught on Big Sandy.

Eagle Point Facebook link:
      https://www.facebook.com/eaglepointbigsandy/

Good luck on the water and have fun with the family!

Shannon Kruse

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.