Big Sandy Report 7/17/21

Home Forums Lake & River Forums Aitkin & McGregor Area Big Sandy Report 7/17/21

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Shannon Kruse
    Participant

Good weekend all around! Lots of traffic on the lake ALL day. A good amount of people fishing and using the lake during the day. Sand Bars are packed. chiggers (or whatever you want to call them) are in the shallow warm water, scrub those legs. We did our annual smelt fry at Eagle Point. I even had some time to get out for a boat tour and some fishing!

We dropped some husky jerks and ran at 1.9-2.1mph. We looked for dock runs and areas that had little boat traffic. We boated 6 walleyes and 1 pike for a couple hours of easy fishing. Only 1 walleye was a keeper. I was surprised how hard they were hitting.

Get out there and have some fun before the snow fly’s!

Shannon Kruse

orandausa

Do you feel the lake and fish populations have recovered since the big flood / heat kill?

By lake recovering I guess I mean more the patterns. After the heat kills my normal spots were not producing, then I went to the winter spots in summer and they produced. It was odd.

Yes, Yes that is a 39" Pike.
        Shannon Kruse
        Participant

Orandausa,

Overall, yes, there are plenty of 13 3/4″ walleyes in the lake to keep anyone busy. I cant wait for the electro-tracking results. The tullies and perch have a very nice population to feed the larger fish. The next big thing on the lake will be smallmouth. There are plenty of 17-19 being caught. There is really not a spot I cant go to and catch, keeping is a bit different. There are a few of us in the campground that figure its around 1-6 keep ratio.

In my mind I still wonder why they don’t get bigger?

orandausa

The DNR studies from way back when they stocked the lake was the dark water kept it hard to find food. Therefore they are all stunted.

Yes, Yes that is a 39" Pike.
            Shannon Kruse
            Participant

Not on board with that one either. No food, they don’t get stunted they die. Think of Mill Lacs, remember catching 26 inch walleyes weighing 4-5 lbs. They walleyes on Sandy have always looked very healthy. The next big thing I hear is they are going over the dam and leaving. Hmmmm….

I love this lake and the mysteries behind it.

Feathers
              Participant

Do the perch still have worms?  There are some nice perch in there but the couple times I’ve kept them they were loaded with worms.

Shannon Kruse
                Participant

Summertime, Yes, I don’t see many people keeping during the summer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.