bluegill crappie cross???

Home Forums Species Specific Forums Panfish bluegill crappie cross???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    cantgetright
    Participant

today i was fishing out at the lake i learned how to fish at and caught a bluegill that had crappie markings i didnt notice it until i got home and was about to clean it. i was wondering if it is just a coincidence that it has those markings or is there a possibility of a cross between the two different fish.

the bluegill really looked pretty cool though

GO PACKERS!
      zpoehler
      Participant

Could be a pumpkinseed, i’ve caught a couple of these and they can get some bizarre markings.

Heres one that looks similar to a crappie.

Jiffy...Clam...Vexilar...JB Lures
        Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        TomSawvell
        Participant

They cannot cross.

TuffEnuff
          Participant

Hey Tom ~

Did you ever hear of a bluegill/smallmouth cross or hybrid? Not sure if that’s possible either but several years ago a local fisherman caught one and thought he had broken the state gill record. The DNR said it was a cross??????? I have a pic of it around here somewhere. Looks more like a smallie to me though.

"Fish til it Hurts!"..... Greg Clusiau
            TomSawvell
            Participant

I have never heard of that cross Greg. Sunfish and a rockbass yes. That makes a warmouth and they can get sizable and have a fairly large mouth with the red eye. They are longer and not near so round as the the bluegill we see in the pure form.

White and black crappies have been reported as being crossed, but I have not seen one of these critters. Like roughed-grouse, where there are two distinct color phases, the black crappie can exhibit some tendency toward being lighter or darker. And I am not referring to breeding coloration here either. Personally I have caught crappies [black] from one spot in our local lake where one will look almost like a white crappie on one cast and yet another, much darker, on another cast. They both have the same mottling as any black crappie, just one bieng much “whiter”. On this note, I have also heard some speculation that crappies, all fish for the matter, will pale under the ice since they don’t get any sunlight without it being heavily filtered. The fish that I have taken have been caught after ice out by a number of weeks but well ahead of any spwaning coloration event and I have caught them in the heat of summer and the late fall period as well. Finding these with such distinctive, yet different, coloration variations sort of steers my to think that they possess the ability to run either lighter or darker genetically in a single body of water.

The make-up of the water itself can lighten or darken a fish. Some wa;;eyes come from one water on one side of a road where the lake is influence heavily with tanic acid from tree leaves or cedars decaying in the water. An the other side of the same road might be a lake that has an inlet and an outlet with a current that comes from yet another clear-water lake. The fish coming from that stained lake will likely be much darker, black to green, across the back while those from the clear water puddle will have an amost golden sheen to the back. A fish’s water environment can dictate some subtle coloration variables.

That Warmouth I mentioed earlier is one of the meanest fish in the water. They attack baits feverishly and fight like crazy. I have seen and caught them during the ice season, but they really prefer the warm water period and it is then that they raise heck on light tackle.

Chris_the_Cow
              Participant

How can you tell the difference between white and black crappies? Just color or I heard somthing about the number of spines on the dorsal fin. I don’t know how to tell…

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
                TomSawvell
                Participant

There are a number of ways to identify the two. The white crappies is not as round as the black, shaped more like a white bass[striper]. Black crappies have random splotches of very dark to black spots on the sides and the belly, where white crappies will have vertical bands or bars arcross the sides. The black crappie will have a back of black or very dark green while the white has a dark back that turns almost irridescent over much a whiter side base color.

You are correct in the ray counts between the two, but I am not certain which fins get the attention and what exactly the numbers of hard spines[those bieng counted] are.

AdamJohnson
                  Participant

Chris, you are correct about counting the hard rays (spines) of the dorsal fin. A black crappie will have 7 to 8 spines, a white crappie will have 5 to 6.

I have never heard of a bluegill/crappie cross. Bluegill will cross with other sunfish on occasion. Many people mistake a bluegill cross with a green sunfish. Green sunfish look like those longer sunfish with bigger mouths. When I was a kid I called them sunfish/bass crosses; nope, just a green.

Tom, a warmouth is not a cross between a bluegill and a rockbass. A warmouth is a completely different species (Lepomis gulosus) that is found mainly in southern Minnesota. You are correct about their mean attitude though. More aggressive than a rockbass but about the same size as a rockbass.

TomSawvell
                    Participant

Then we have a ton of confused people down here Adam. Our very own fisheries department says that a warmouth is a hybred between the two. Southeastern Minnesota is about as far north as they get found though.

AdamJohnson
                      Participant

If it was a hybrid, then the scientific name would look something like the tiger muskie (Esox lucius x Esox masquinongy). The warmouth (Lepomis gulosus) is more closely related to the bluegill than it is to the rock bass (Ambloplites rupestris). If they could hybridize, then they would be found in fisheries populating both species. Here are a couple of links showing warmouth. You can also look up other fishes as well.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/fishing/aquanotes-fishid/warmouth.htm

http://www.gen.umn.edu/research/fish/fishes/natural_history.html

I am pretty sure that a bluegill cannot cross with a rock bass. I did some quick research and could not find any literature to support this. Also, I am not sure that a bluegill and rockbass are closely related enough to hybridize. Every hybrid I can think of either is in the same genus or a very closely related genus.

TomSawvell
                        Participant

I know the dnr mentions hybredizing but maybe this is a way fro them to collectively lump the unknown….kind of like a “non-specific virus” being your ailment when the doc doesn’t have a specific answer. lol Who knows.

I know we catch warmouths down here and they are terrors on light tackle.

cantgetright
                          Participant

we have warmouth all over around here i think they are planted and not found naturally here. they put them in to the lakes and ponds trying to get bigger panfish. i havnt noticed any change though

GO PACKERS!
                            snoozebutton
                            Participant

Just thought I’d put this up for those that weren’t sure of the differences between a white and black crappie. Pretty good photo of the two.

http://www.crappie.com/crappieinfo/Doc2.htm

TomSawvell
                              Participant

Snooze….Love the handle. Just wish I could use mine more often.

And Welcome to LSF!

snoozebutton
                                Participant

Thanks for the welcome Tom and I really enjoy reading your posts. I’ve learned a lot of new things to try this summer from them.

BTW, looks like crappie.com is down.I tried the link I put up and I get the “page not found.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.