California Roll/Sushi with crappies???

Home Forums General Forums Cooking & Recipes California Roll/Sushi with crappies???

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Addicted2Fishing09
    Participant

I’m just curious as to if anyone has made California rolls from fresh caught crappie. I was probably just going to poach the fish, or bake and than imitate, but curious if anyone has done it or would have any tips. I have a roller and everything and of course won’t be true sushi because I’ll have to cook the fish. Any thoughts?

When life gets too complex, too confusing, too absurd and your freedom has been reduced to only tiny fragments throughout a single day; then you know it's time to go fishing.
      WalleyeChaser
      Participant

Eating any fresh water fish raw is dangerous!

Savvy
        Participant

I have rolled crappie that I have deep fried in Panko bread crumbs and sliced Avocado with a little mayo. Its really good!

highbeeze24

So long as you cook the fish it should be no issue. I would go the route Savvy went frying in Panko. This will give you some good texture and ensure the fish stays together. If poached you would have a mess on your hand as it will flake all over the place when trying to roll. Add some Sriracha mayo and you should have a pretty tasty meal.

If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score? Vince Lombardi
            Addicted2Fishing09
            Participant

Thanks for the input! I know fresh water fish has to be cooked thoroughly and didn’t think about the fish falling apart. I will go the route of deep frying first to keep the fish together! I can’t wait to try it out! All ideas are welcome. thanks

When life gets too complex, too confusing, too absurd and your freedom has been reduced to only tiny fragments throughout a single day; then you know it's time to go fishing.
              JJ
              Participant

You can actually do this as a Ceviche and not cook the fish (the citrus acts as a pickling agent). You should freeze the fish for a sufficient amount of time to kill any parasites (I believe two weeks below -4° is the reccomended timeline)

We’ve done this with crappies a bunch of times for California rolls.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/make-perfect-black-bass-ceviche-appetizer/

JJ
                Participant

You can actually do this as a Ceviche and not cook the fish (the citrus acts as a pickling agent). You should freeze the fish for a sufficient amount of time to kill any parasites (I believe two weeks below -4° is the reccomended timeline)

We’ve done this with crappies a bunch of times for California rolls.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/make-perfect-black-bass-ceviche-appetizer/

WalleyeChaser
                  Participant

Oops misread your initial post

zachd
                    Participant

I would do a tempura batter

1/2 cup flour
                      1/2 cup cornstarch
                      1 cup ice cold seltzer (club soda or other bubbly water)
                      1 egg
                      Pinch of salt

MtkaMoose
                      Participant

WalleyeChaser wrote:

Just curious – why is it ok to eat ocean fish raw? Is the salt water some type of purifier?

highbeeze24

MtkaMoose wrote:

WalleyeChaser wrote:

Just curious – why is it ok to eat ocean fish raw? Is the salt water some type of purifier?

Freshwater fish tend to live in parasite infested waters. Parasite are also present in saltwater that are harmful but they tend to be neutralized by the saltwater. It is a risk regardless when you eat raw fish and for that reason some sushi restaurants flash freeze their fish to kill of the parasites that may be infesting the product.

If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score? Vince Lombardi
                          zachd
                          Participant

highbeeze24 wrote:

MtkaMoose wrote:

WalleyeChaser wrote:

Freshwater fish tend to live in parasite infested waters. Parasite are also present in saltwater that are harmful but they tend to be neutralized by the saltwater. It is a risk regardless when you eat raw fish and for that reason some sushi restaurants flash freeze their fish to kill of the parasites that may be infesting the product.

All us sushi restaurants the fish is frozen before serving the FDA rules it illegal not to
                            The only fish that isn’t illegal to is Tuna but even then its almost always frozen

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.