Cascade River State Park

Home Forums Lake & River Forums Duluth – North Shore Cascade River State Park

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    SIOUX2211
    Participant

Hi everybody, new wife & I are heading up and staying between Lutsen & Grand Marais towards the end of September. I know there are plenty of streams in the area, but is it worth bringing a rod that time of year? Never fished up that direction, so I’m clueless. Assuming it’s worth it, am I safe to assume the classic mepps spinners or a float with crawler will be the ticket? Don’t need any specific spots, just curious. Thanks in advance!

H2ODep
      Participant

You should be able to find a good mix of fish in the lower Temperence, Cascade, Devil Track, Brule etc., particularly if we get a shot of rain.

Pink salmon will likely be running at that time, may be a few coho around, steelhead will wander in with an increase in flow after rain, and you may pick up incidental coaster brook trout.

Spinners will work, so will drowning a crawler. You may want to also consider simply drifting a crawler on the bottom, especially in the deeper pools like the lake pool on the Temperence.

I’d also try casting off any of the river mouths, or the breakwall in Grand Marais.

Couple special regs to be aware of. In the Superior tribs below the posted boundaries, no trebel hooks allowed. If you used Mepps etc., you need to swap out to a single hook. Any rainbow with an intact adipose fin has to be released. Brook trout below the posted boundary close on Sept. 2. Just double-check the regs because the Superior trib regs can be confusing first time.

Plenty of fish available above the posted boundaries as well and the inland trout season runs through the 30th.

Good Luck!

Minnesota Steelheader
        "Beer is proof that God loves us & wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin
        SIOUX2211
        Participant

Thanks for the info H20, I really appreciate it! I’ll see what I can do with it this weekend when I’m up there.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.