Cass Lake – First Time

Home Forums Lake & River Forums Cass lake Chain Cass Lake – First Time

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    F6firecat
    Participant

Well, finally, end of this week we head to Cass Lake for the first time ever. Seems that end of June trips are always kind of sketchy for fishing, but we always manage to catch something and have a good time.

But, if anyone has any recent reports, or last words of wisdom for us, we would appreciate it. Colors, tactics, bait of choice, etc… Anything to help us get started.

I prefer Walleye fishing, but we will go for whatever we can find biting. Perch, Crappie, Sunfish, Pike, Walleye, Muskie, Bass…

I have been told that Cass holds lots of trophy quality fish, so hopefully we get into something that makes this a memorable trip. My son just started fishing Muskie last year, had a BIG one roll his spinner bait on Leech last year, but no hookups yet, so I think I will guide the boat for him a lot of time so he can pitch those monster lures looking for a monster bite. Then use mornings and evenings to satisfy my Walleye needs.

But if anyone has any hints they want to share…..

Allen’s Bay Lodge, Sunset Cover Resort

lesser
      Participant

I am taking the kids up Sat-Tues this coming week. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

F6firecat
        Participant

Lesser,

We had a really tough week up on Cass. 30+ mph winds with cold fronts, and blue sky no wind days, nothing in between. No one in our resort could find fish. One local guide told us he had clients 5 days straight and the boat was skunked 4 of the 5 days. Panfish were non-existent, other than small perch if you consider them panfish. Northern Pike were really hit and miss, we caught some pulling Rapala’s on the top edge of the drop offs. Walleye were completely non-existent until our last day. I was able to see them on the sonar all week long at the bottom of drop off structure, but no bites at all. The last day we were there we were able to get them to bite, slow trolling leeches on a 6′ leader along the edges of the drop offs on mid lake structure. Every one I cleaned had completely empty bellies, as they had not been eating all week it appeared.

Not much help, but some info. Perch and sunfish should be in the shallow reeds. Pike should be in 10-12′ of water, and Walleye should be along the bottom edges of structure.

By the way, the best lure by far was the new Rapala Shadow Rap in the Bud color, which is mostly clear with a yellow belly. But with the poor fishing, that may just be an aberration too.

Best of luck, should be a blast!!

tightlines47
          Participant

Lesser,

I have a good friend that guides on that lake. He has been doing it for like 13ish years! The zebra mussels have drastically changed how he has been fishing the lake this year. But, he seems to have figured it out and has been doing well as of late in the Walleye department. If you would like to give him a try for a day or half a day, let me know and I can get you his info. I do know that walleye fishing has been better at night on the various gravel bars on the lake. Pulling crank baits.

tightlines47
            Participant

F6Firecat,

Don’t let this first time up on Cass sour you for the lake. All of my personal bests have come off of this lake. Its just a lake in change do to those damn zebra mussels!!

F6firecat
              Participant

Oh no, no negativity on the lake was intended by my review. Just bad timing in my mind. Prior to our trip fishing had been very good. And the fact that the guides were having trouble during that week also states that it was just a bad week. After the weather stabilized, on our final day, the Walleye fishing was very good, showing the possibilities on the lake.

I was just sharing a current report, not meant to encourage or deter anyone’s decisions to visit the lake. Great lake at first glance, just bad weather period.

And I will add, we did put down our deposit to give it another try next year.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.