Cordless drill auger

Home Forums Minnesota Fishing Forums Ice Fishing Talk Cordless drill auger

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    love-to-hunt
    Participant

Anyone out there used this product called the Ice Kicker and Ice kicker II. It is an adapter for you hand auger that allows for use with a cordless drill.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The claim is that an 18V Riobe will drill up to 20 holes on a single charge drilling 5″ holes in 12″ of ice. The Ice Kicker II is a gear reduction unit to be used with 8″ augers.

The maker has a demo clip out there and it looks pretty impressive I would just like to get some consumer input.

I made one and chucked it up in my 36V DeWalt with an 8″ Laser Drill and it cuts very well.

I cut 20 holes in 12-14″ of really good clear ice and it cut strong with charge to spare. I would have gone untill it died but I was in tennis shoes and my feet got cold.

At any rate I think in thick ice (2′ plus) a gas would still be a better bet but for light to med ice this is what I will be bringing with.

I found the biggest key is to not push on the drill, just let the auger do the work.

My intrigue here is no more gas smell in the wheel house and it should be easier to store, transport and handle then a 12V electric auger. Certainly it is cheaper then a 4 stroke since I have everything already.

My only concern is burning up my $200.00 drill

Any experience or thoughts would be welcome.

Fishing is cheaper then therapy!!

><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>¸.
      .•´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>...

thunder
      Participant

I have used something similar. They work but I have gone back to just drillingby hand or using the gas auger. It would be great to use in a permanent house where you didnt want any fumes.

nluchau
        Participant

love-to-hunt – Welcome to LSF!

I haven’t tried one myself but the reviews I’ve read they seem to be alright. It all depends on the size of the drill you use I guess.

If someone else has tried one I’m sure they will chime in.

Again welcome to the site.

Nick

Gone fishin', be back at dark-thirty!
          Dirtydawg69
          Participant

I’ve never used one of those, But I do hvac for a living, We use 18vlt dewalts everyday and One thing I’ve Noticed is to listen to the motor if the auger starts to bind back it off and start over, Once they bind up it only takes a bit to fry a motor.

When Hell freezes over I'll ice fish there to.
            Sally
            Participant

I just picked up something like that from LSFs tomcat. Drill attachment w/7″ lazer auger. I put brand new blades on it and took it to the lake, it worked great. I was using a 24v Bosch, no hesitation or any worries. I will always use my gas auger on the outside world, but I think I will use this in my permanent house. I too have seen the ice kicker video on ebay, a very selling video at it.
              John

hammersmn
              Participant

I bought the original Ice Kicker a few years ago, and found that the drill I had didn’t have enough “umph” to get it going (old drill, weak battery). I’m pretty sure that a well charged-high voltage cordless would work fine (probably not as well as the video shows, but good enough)

All I have is a hand auger, so I thought I’d give it a shot. My choice now is to buy an upgraded drill, or a gas auger. I’m leaning towards the gas auger.

frenchguyfry
                Participant

i have the original ice kicker with a mora 6″ hand auger and so far it works fairly well… i use it on a 16 or 18v dewalt cant remember which with the xrp battery packs… you cant drill a ton of holes maybe 10 throgh 8″s of ice. sometimes when yu get towards the lower layer of ice (the hard stuff) it will get stuck… but like others said the key is to let the auger do the work. the big upside for me is on most metro lakes i just walk out with my pak shack and pak sled so it is a very lightweight operation… I just use my gas auger up north at my cabin though where i have a snowmobile to pull me stuff around…
                  Hope this helps!
                  If you have any question just ask.
                  Later,
                  Ryan

hlznm
                  Participant

I bought the original Ice Kicker a few years ago, and found that the drill I had didn’t have enough “umph” to get it going (old drill, weak battery). I’m pretty sure that a well charged-high voltage cordless would work fine (probably not as well as the video shows, but good enough) All I have is a hand auger, so I thought I’d give it a shot. My choice now is to buy an upgraded drill, or a gas auger. I’m leaning towards the gas auger.

Is there a model you can recommend right now?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by hlznm.
                  Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.