Coyote or Gray?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    go4it
    Participant

Wolves have been chasing the deer again, and I finally got two pics where you can compare the size.  I think timber, but my buddy thinks coyote.  Usually only get a blurry image, and most have been 2 per image of the critters.  They are usually within a few minutes behind the deer shot.

Thoughts?

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Bandersnatch
      Participant

Yeah that pointy face screams Coyote to me.

Keith

go4it
        Participant

Thanks for the input – appreciate it.  This area is just south of Duluth.  We will hear the coyotes yipping, then the timber wolves start howling and you will not hear a coyote again for the rest of the night.  So both are definitely in the area.   That sound sure makes the hair on the back of your neck stand on end! Especially when you are still in your stand as dusk falls.

Have often thought of setting up to see if I could take a coyote and then having the hide tanned.  I am just not comfortable knowing that if one came in I would know the difference.  So the pointy nose is the best way to tell the difference?  On these two other pics from last summer – you think those are also coyotes?

Attachments:
          deadgooses
          Participant

I would agree the one in the first pic is a coyote.  The bottom ones I would say are wolves.  The fact there are 3 of them, the heads look bigger, the bodies look bigger.  Top one is smaller with a smaller head and shorter legs.

My $.02

When in doubt, shoot again.
            Joehere
            Participant

Top one coyote/middle 3 could be but way too grainy for me/bottom coyote. For myself anyway.  I’ve seen both big coyotes I would have sworn were wolf and small wolf I thought was coyote,,,trail cam or live it’s still pretty tough call sometimes. But keep them pictures coming,it’s always fun. Thanks for sharing

Attachments:
              go4it
              Participant

Thanks again for the follow up.  So your pic, I would guess that is a coyote with the bigger ears – am I correct?  I bet you can guess I am not a fur bearer hunter… Sure would like to start but not confident in my ability yet to distinguish between the two.

I have one last pic to post since it always makes me chuckle.   The answer to the age old question, yes, they do crap in the woods.

Attachments:
                Bandersnatch
                Participant

1s.jpg……….. Yote!!

2s.jpg………. Blurry to me so indeterminate.

Keith

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.