Crappie Chowder

Home Forums General Forums Cooking & Recipes Crappie Chowder

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    highbeeze24

A warm soup sounded great and being on a solid crappie bite I decided to put together a chowder.

Diced onion, Diced celery, Diced bacon, chopped garlic, fresh thyme, Diced potatoes, fish stock, clam juice, half and half, salt, pepper, old bay, lemon pepper, szeged fish rub, butter and flour for roux. Diced crappie or any other white fish.

Add bacon and Sautee until crisp, add onions, celery and garlic (remove bacon and reserve if you’d like it to be crispy with your chowder, add it to your bowl before eating). Sweat veg until soft, add butter and flour. Stir and cook roux for one minute.

Add fish stock (I used fish base and water), clam juice and half and half. Season with seasonings, bring to a simmer and add potatoes. Cook for 15 minutes until potatoes are tender. Add 1/2″ chunks of crappie and cook for 5 more minutes on low stirring gently. Serve while hot.

I made a large batch of the chowder base without adding the crappie. I will freeze in quart bags and defrost them as desired. Bring to a simmer and add crappie one batch at a time.

Edit: I took my crappie and seasoned it with more szeged fish rub and old bay and broiled it. I flaked it into the bowl and heated the chowder base up and poured over the top. It was fantastic!

If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score? Vince Lombardi
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by highbeeze24.
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      OldBear
      Participant

Just what I was looking for Thanks.

orandausa

Sounds delicious.

Yes, Yes that is a 39" Pike.
        Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.