Early March Oahe Pike Trip

Home Forums Midwest Neighbors South Dakota Early March Oahe Pike Trip

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    tipupsonly
    Participant

I’m looking for some help on deciding where to try pike fishing next winter. A group of us that normally hit Lake of the Woods are going to try Oahe instead. Being such a huge body of water, I’m curious if either end or any section is better for big pre-spawn pike?

Also, any recommendations on where to stay. It would be great to be on the water so we could go just take the atvs and go each day, but that looks tough to find. There is usually 4-6 of us.

Thanks for any help!

HotFiretiger
      Participant

I know you said winter, but I would strongly consider ice-out (in a typical year, the ice does start to come off Oahe in March).

Ice-out can be absolutely fantastic out there if you hit it at the right time and you can fish right from shore and be successful. It’s hard to plan a trip there ahead of time, it’s more like if you hear the ice is off – then you should head there. Most of the guys fish the bays above the dam in Pierre such as: Spring Creek, Okobojo and Cow Creek. Most of the time they just throw out a large smelt with a quick strike rig or something similar and just let it sit on the bottom. You want to hit the shallower areas of the bays with flats that will have warmer water. I’d say anything under that 15′ depth is best, because they’re looking to spawn, obviously. Hope that helps you out! I have no experience getting them through the ice but if I had to pick a time to get big Pike, it would definitely be right after the ice goes out.

As far as places to stay, there’s plenty of hotels in Pierre. If you want to be close to water there’s Spring Creek Resort & Marina and The Outpost Lodge.

Don’t forget to release the biggens!

tipupsonly
        Participant

Thanks for the info! And yes we release them unless it’s a giant, but we’ve got a few on the wall already. It’s funny because all I can find is reports on ice out pike, very few with ice on. I would assume the same areas would be good. I’m looking for areas with less pressure than our normal trips. I feel like Oahe is the place because there isn’t much internet chatter. Lotw use to be that way. Now you gotta go 5-10 miles off the accesses and there’s still a crowd.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.