Favorite Panfish Fly?

Home Forums Minnesota Fishing Forums Fly Fishing Talk Favorite Panfish Fly?

• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    flyfishingdom
    Participant

I have been out with my fly rod and kayak to catch bluegills and crappies quite a bit this spring. What fun!

I’ve been experimenting with little poppers (chartreuse color is best) and sponge spiders (white legs on orange body has been best) on the surface and big size 8 march brown nymphs under the surface. All have worked really well and I’ve caught well over 200 panfish this spring on these flies– many of them were dandies!

On the surface, I get more action with a popper, but I get more hook ups with the spiders for whatever reason.

What have you used for panfish in the past with success? Do you normally go surface or subsurface? I’d love to hear your favorite flies and techniques!

AdamJohnson
      Participant

Small poppers and the spiders are my favorites. I really like the surface flys. My favorite sub surface fly is a Wooly Bugger. Those things catch everything.

jolo72
        Participant

I have better luck with poppers for surface fishing than I do dry flies. Most times when I cast the popper out the sunnies will hit it nearly instantly. Early in the season, wet flies like prince nymphs and wooly buggers seem to do the trick.

Have fun!

Tom Sawyer
          Participant

Really is dependant on time of year (match the hatch) but, anytime I can fish something on the surface….. that’s my favorite fly. Dry fly fishing is so enjoyable; a true visual experience. Ants and spiders are constantly falling into the water during the summer months, so those type patterns are a great starting point. Keep your eyes open, Mother Nature is telling you what the favorite fly for the moment will be. Fish can get tunnel vision and only feed on what is abundant at that givin time.
            Although I have to honestly say I’ve caught more fish on sub-surface flies. Wolly Buggers, any nymphs that are active, and wets work very well. Timberwolves can be deadly at times when nothing else even gets noticed. Often overlooked are small streamers that imitate the minnow forage base that big bulls love to eat.

jbonice007
            Participant

Small nymph under a popper or spider.

“To go fishing is the chance of washing one’s soul with pure air, with the rush of the brook, or with the shimmer of the sun on blue water.”
              ~ Herbert Hoover, devoted angler and thirty-first President of the United States.
              mohican
              Participant

Passlake

RLS
                Participant

Vertical presentation: Cap Spider.
                  Horizontal presentation: Kiss Bug.

To belittle is to be little
                  Bandersnatch
                  Participant

Poppers with a trailing nymph

jbonice007
                    Participant

Red rubber monkey butt.
                      and the
                      sunny chum.

“To go fishing is the chance of washing one’s soul with pure air, with the rush of the brook, or with the shimmer of the sun on blue water.”
                      ~ Herbert Hoover, devoted angler and thirty-first President of the United States.
                      Anonymous

Dark colors for sunfish and light colors for crappies…depends what I want more

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.