Fillet Knife

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Looking for a new knife but not sure if to go all out or stay conservative. A few options I’m looking at and wondering if you own or have opinions on…

Havalon Barracuda (seems short with only a 5″ blade)
      Mora fillet knife
      Dexter wide fillet knife
      Cutco

I was really interested in the Havalon but again, the blades seem short. I’ve read really good reviews on the mora and its very affordable, as so the dexter. If I’m going to drop some cash, is the cutco worth it?

PS. I’m not going electric. I mostly fish walleye and panfish.

Juan Arellano
      Participant

Look at the leech lake knives…

sunkinboat
        Participant

Wusthof Grand Prix II. Eversharp knives in Minneapolis has donated one every year for out LSF get togethers and the guys rave about them. Brad Hawthorne (Mille Lacs/Red Lake Guide) had one as well and told me how many 100’s of walleyes he filleted with it without sharpening, I cant remember how many it was but it was a few hundred. If your not familiar with Wusthof, look em up, they’re always #1 or 2 in the world year after year.
          http://www.eversharpknives.com/shop/product/9-fillet-knife-w-leather-sheath-gpii/

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same" Ronald Reagan
          2014 LSF Fall Trolling Get Together Champion
          tomc

sunkinboat wrote:
            Wusthof Grand Prix II. Eversharp knives in Minneapolis has donated one every year for out LSF get togethers and the guys rave about them. Brad Hawthorne (Mille Lacs/Red Lake Guide) had one as well and told me how many 100’s of walleyes he filleted with it without sharpening, I cant remember how many it was but it was a few hundred. If your not familiar with Wusthof, look em up, they’re always #1 or 2 in the world year after year.
            http://www.eversharpknives.com/shop/product/9-fillet-knife-w-leather-sheath-gpii/

^^^ I’ll have to 2nd this, awesome knife & scary sharp! 👍🏻

quazzy02
            Participant

I also purchased a Leech Lake knife at the St Paul Ice Show a number of years back. They are beautiful knives, but I must admit I have never used mine because I thought it was such a nice knife.

I also have a couple Wusthof’s I bought from Eversharp Knives that i use and love them! They really hold their sharpness! I have also given a few to my buddies as wedding gifts! Eversharp Knives is an awesome little knife shop and I would also highly recommend them! They also offer knife and blade sharpening.

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              Kirk

I will 2nd the Leech lake knife, I only use electric to clean fish but use my Leech lake knife to take y bones out of Northerns……….Kir

Only 2 defining forces ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011

F6firecat
                Participant

I purchased the Cutco Fishermans Solution a couple of years ago, and I would give it rave reviews, has a few extras that are worth it. A buddy of mine has a Wusthof, and it works very well also, he wouldn’t use another knife. I did buy an electric also though, and it makes filleting much easier, maybe not as detailed of a cut, but much faster, but I still use both.

MrB
                  Participant

I have quite a few fillet knives, but to echo the other sentiments here, my Wusthof is second to none. It is simply the best for taking out the Y bones on northern pike IMO. I have owned the knife for years and it has never needed sharpening. Just be careful; you’ll only slip once! I would recommend it to anyone looking for a high quality fillet knife. Just think if they came out with an electric one?!?

Anonymous

I am hesitant on the Leech lake knife as “I feel” most cost is associated with the handle then with the blade…but it’s good to hear some good reviews. On researching that knife, I found out that CustomCutlery actually makes the Leech lake knife but sells them without the Leech Lake brand for more then 1/2 off. My biggest problem is sharpening the knives…hence why I’m also looking for reviews on the Havalon which you simply replace the blade…but I still can’t get over the small 5″ blade length.

Keep them coming…always good to hear from real reviews!

Hawg
                      Participant

I’m a Dexter guy. I’ve owned all the top knives, and add J A Henkels to the list, in my years as a cook and all are worth every penny. I think it’s overkill for a fish cleaner though. Get a Work Sharp belt sharpener and you won’t be disappointed. It’s the best unit I’ve ever used with the exception of a $2500 Hobart. Why not electric, they are great.

I was your age once, you never been mine!
                        PB
                        Participant

Kirk wrote:
                          I will 2nd the Leech lake knife, I only use electric to clean fish but use my Leech lake knife to take y bones out of Northerns……….Kir

That’s exactly what I do too.

sunkinboat
                          Participant

ClownColor wrote:
                            I am hesitant on the Leech lake knife as “I feel” most cost is associated with the handle then with the blade…but it’s good to hear some good reviews. On researching that knife, I found out that CustomCutlery actually makes the Leech lake knife but sells them without the Leech Lake brand for more then 1/2 off. My biggest problem is sharpening the knives…hence why I’m also looking for reviews on the Havalon which you simply replace the blade…but I still can’t get over the small 5″ blade length.

Keep them coming…always good to hear from real reviews!

You don’t have to worry about sharpening your knives with Wusthof, you can either mail it in for sharpening or stop by their shop in Minneapolis for sharpening. Joe has been sharpening knives all his life and can sharpen anything.

http://www.eversharpknives.com/shop/knife-sharpening-services/

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same" Ronald Reagan
                            2014 LSF Fall Trolling Get Together Champion
                            JackLevi
                            Participant

Looking for a new knife but not sure if to go all out or stay conservative. A few options I’m looking at and wondering if you own or have opinions on… Havalon Barracuda (seems short with only a 5″ blade) Mora fillet knife Dexter wide fillet knife Cutco I was really interested in the Havalon but again, the blades seem short. I’ve read really good reviews on the mora and its very affordable, as so the dexter. If I’m going to drop some cash, is the cutco worth it? PS. I’m not going electric. I mostly fish walleye and panfish.

Cutco’s are amazing knives as well especially the adjustable one.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.