First time on vermilion

Home Forums Lake & River Forums Iron Range – Vermilion First time on vermilion

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Phildawg
    Participant

Hey guys and gals. Heading up to vermilion for the first time this weekend for a little over a week. We are going to be staying at a friend’s cabin on the NW side of the lake. Anyone have any advice on how or where to try on that end of the lake for some eyes or muskie? I have a good boat but hoping not to have to go to the far end of the lake to find a good spot.

Stoutslaya
      Participant

Nobody answered the original poster but I have the same question 2 years later so I thought I’d ask. Heading up to Vermillion in two weeks to fish muskies for my first trip to the lake. Going to be staying on the east end near Fortune Bay so just looking for some idea’s around locations, baits, colors, anything really. I’ve only ever fished in the BWCA for everything but muskies so I’m really looking forward to this bucket list item.

Jordan
        Participant

I have never fished the lake, but assuming that Fortune Bay is near Everetts Bay, I would suggest fishing the structure coming out of the bay to Jackrabbit Island. Look for good weeds and cast shallower (>20ft) using bucktails, large swim baits, etc. Then Id head east to Cherry Island and do the same. Potatoe and surrounding main lake islands and their reefs can be productive, I’ve heard. If all fails, troll just outside the weed line with big, deep diving lures to cover ground. Bulldogs can also be effective if casting and retrieving while moving very slow around structure/weeds. Hope this helps somewhat. Good luck and be sure to report back.

KEEP REELING!
          Stoutslaya
          Participant

Thanks for the tips but I got a question. If you’ve never fished the lake how do you know about all these spots to hit? Are you just gathering that by looking at a map?

Jordan
            Participant

Friends and family that have been there, including last year around this time. Also searching the internet. These are just starting points. Keep fishing until your moving some fish. Pay attention to all the details (water temps., wind, depth, bottom content/structure/weeds, speed, light, what bait you’re using, etc etc).

KEEP REELING!
              pulleye16
              Participant

Growing up there with no gps, lake maps, and barely a fish finder at times, our go to method was trolling around rock points with a rainbow Minnow on a little joe silver or gold spinner rig with some weight to get them down. We’d troll right up along the rocks. Rocks. Rocks. Rocks. (And yes, I get the whole lake is s rock but find rocks IN the water).

Stoutslaya
                Participant

Threw the kitchen sink at em and nothing was moving fish. Tried shallow, tried deep and neither boat in our crew saw one in 3 days. Water temps were about 59 degree’s on Saturday so still fairly warm. Ended up switching over to fish walleyes and did manage to catch a nice limit of those on Friday evening but Saturday was a bust with the high winds and clear blue skies. Was fun to get to see this lake, can’t wait to return, just hoping for some more cooperative fish.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.