Fish on the lake?

Home Forums Minnesota Fishing Forums Ice Fishing Talk Fish on the lake?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rywheat
    Participant

What is the law about eating fish on the lake I have always thought that you can’t clean a fish on the lake. But I was talking with a customer and we were questioning thuis topic.

Its not what you know but who you know
      Pete
      Participant

I believe you can not clean and eat a fish on the lake in Minnesota. That fish you cleaned counts towards your daily possesion limit and you may not clean them until you are on the shore is what I think.

go4it
        Participant

Page 10 – 11 in the fising regs read:

Possessing Fish…

• While on or fishing waters with size restrictions, all fish for which the size restriction applies must have their heads, tails, fins, and skin intact and be measurable except when a watercraft is docked or moored to shore and the person is preparing the fish for that nights/days meal.

The way I read it, only when you are off the ice (ON SHORE) are you allowed to clean and eat your fish

Rywheat
          Participant

Let say I’m heading out to Mille Lacs for the weekend can I bring some fillet’s from a previous trip out which would be in my posseision limit already. Lets say I bring some sunnies or crops out to the flats

Its not what you know but who you know
            Anonymous

go4it wrote:
              Page 10 – 11 in the fising regs read:

Possessing Fish…

• While on or fishing waters with size restrictions, all fish for which the size restriction applies must have their heads, tails, fins, and skin intact and be measurable except when a watercraft is docked or moored to shore and the person is preparing the fish for that nights/days meal.

The way I read it, only when you are off the ice (ON SHORE) are you allowed to clean and eat your fish

If your quoting word for word, I understand that as you leave the head, tails, fins and skin intact to be examined. And you could fry up the fillets…? I know a few people who have filleted and eaten the fish they just caught on the ice. They kept all parts towards thier limits. Hmmmm…I know that there are a few CO officers reading this maybe they could chime in and help us figure it out.

Jimmyrig
              Participant

The way it works, is that you CANNOT clean fish that have a slot on them. Example: Mille Lacs walleyes. No cleaning them on the lake or eating. Perch – go ahead.

Any other lake without a slot limit: Go ahead, but if you are to be transporting them, they must have a skin patch attached and visible. Also, any fish cleaned count towards your daily and possession limit.

I have cleaned and eaten fish on the lake a few times. When you are on a trip and need to get rid of some or are hungry it can be great thing.

Let's GET EM!

[email protected]

Sally
                Participant

Im with what Jimmyrig, check out you DNR fishing regulation book. It should show a sketch of leaving a patch of scales on the filets.

Mike_Thorp
                  Participant

Just called the DNR and they said

Exactlay as JimmyRig has stated in his post, ok if non slot lake. no go if you are on a slot lake

Pro Staff- The Dangler
                    Please Support Minnesota Fishing Sponsors
                  Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.