Grand Rapids area report

Home Forums Lake & River Forums Grand Rapids Area Grand Rapids area report

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jordan
    Participant

Sorry for the late post as this report was from the week of 8/12-8/19. I have been busy with work and what not since I’ve been back. We took our other annual family vacation (my side of the family) to a Grand Rapids area lake that we’ve been going to for 4 years now. We usually target panfish and walleye and this year seemed to be a little better than the previous year or two.

The walleye action was not fast and furious but we caught a total of 16 walleye for the week, with the size range being from 15-20″. We averaged 1-3 fish a day. The best method seemed to be trolling in 8-15 fow towards dusk and into the first hour of the night. Only 1 walleye was caught in the morning. The best lures seemed to be SR5’s, flicker shads, cordells and husky jerks. Best colors were any perch variation or fluorescent chartreuse. We tried jigging raps out in 30-40 fow when we found pods of fish on the graph but had no luck. Also no luck dragging or rigging live bait over multiple depths. We even tried slip bobber fishing during the evening with fat heads and leeches but had minimal luck. 1 bonus 13″ cappie though.

As for the sunfish, we tried to find the deepest, greenest weeds possible. This lake is known to grow weeds in different spots every year, so we scouted around and found some nice cabbage patches in 12-14′ fow in select bays and the fish were there, along with the rock bass. We used multiple lures, the tinier the better it seemed, with a small chunk of crawler. Water temps seemed to be 72-75* all week until the rain at the end then it dipped to 69*. Overall it was a fun, relaxing week with catching fish as a side bonus and we cannot wait to go back again already next year. As a side note, we have never caught as many northern during a single week, with a 2 hr outings catching as many as 30 fish. No real size, some reaching 25″. The last picture shows what they were doing to the lures. Good luck out there as we head into the fall!

KEEP REELING!
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      micorps
      Participant

Thank you for the report. I leave south carolina next weekend to make my way back, will be fishing north of grand rapids again at alot of the small ponds i did well at a year ago june. I will also be on cass lake the weekend of the 23rd. I started a youtube channel now so i wont be posting recaps here. Most are my crappie fishing adventures in sc. Truly is unbelievable how many big crappie there is down here. Glad you caught a few, hopefully you can get out again before the water gets hard.

glenn57
        Participant

older post, i know. but anyone with some type of ice thickness reports around the marcell talmoon area? particularly smaller lakes????????

glenn57
          Participant

anybody in the area been out?? reports……my opener is coming up this next week.  my brother is up there now and from what i hear its hit and miss but getting a few……nords, eyes, panfish!!!!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.