Grouse on public land

Home Forums Hunting Forums Small Game Grouse on public land

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Bigfatber
    Participant

Got out this a.m on public land superior national forest , saw 4 grouse from 8:00-noon , shot 3 and really should of had the 4th bird. It seems the birds are finding more of a need for gravel as of late .. what a gorgeous day it was for October 19th , at almost 70 degrees .

Joehere
      Participant

Went out on public HWT today north of town,dog flushed 4 in 2hrs walking,some birds out there. Not to say it’s peaked but enough to get me out.
        Had a nice breeze coming off the river,beautiful day,awesome hunting dog,life is good. Get out there at least once this season if you can. Good luck

Crappie1984
        Participant

I always ask this….but…anyone seeing deer ticks out there while grouse hunting? I picked one deer tick off me last weekend and one off my dog the weekend before. Got Lyme Disease two years ago after a deer tick bite while grouse hunting, still cant shake it. Just wondering if you all are seeing more ticks??? Thanks

Joehere
          Participant

Found 3 on the dog last weekend,2 more after hunting yesterday,low down in the belly area. And a couple more expired on the carpet.

Jordan
            Participant

Went out this past weekend a little north east of Mille Lacs and we got 3 birds for a day and a half of hunting. Got them all the first few hours so I was optimistic but never panned out. Saturday turned dark and windy with storms later in the evening and Sunday was sunny but windy again. The birds seemed to be a little further in the woods yet only saw 1 eating gravel. Heard similar reports from those that stopped by on wheelers and what not. AND THE TICKS WERE OUT!! The dog had several dozen on him through out the weekend and we each had a few on us as well. All wood ticks. As the weather turns here they should be gone by next weekend. Going back up to do stand work will report when I return.

KEEP REELING!
              Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              Crappie1984
              Participant

Good Job, at least you got enough for a meal. Yea, i am hoping this cold weather coming helps the hunting, leaves falling, and the ticks to go away! Good luck!

smackem33
                Participant

I’ve noticed around the Mille lacs area is full I mean full off deer ticks. My dog got a some sort of Lyme a couple years ago. This year walked a short walk was pulling then off him for at least an hour hundreds of deer ticks not one wood tick. Im waiting till after deer season from now before I hit the woods with the pup

Your down! Your down!!! Just kidding
                  Crappie1984
                  Participant

Wow that unbelievable. Agreed, im done in the woods until a couple good hard freezes so they are done coming out for the year! Ive been spraying my clothes with Permethrin the last two years and that has cut down the amount of ticks big time. I was putting deer stands out last weekend in Danbury WI and pulled two deer ticks off me. Pulled one off my dog in the backyard woods in the East Metro last week(Stillwater). They are everywhere these days. Good luck out there!

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.