Help Selecting a Bait Casting Reel

Home Forums Species Specific Forums Bass Help Selecting a Bait Casting Reel

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Fishking22
    Participant

Alright so I have and will be gone for most of the summer working and do not get out fishing at all. I’ve decided to treat myself to a decent bait casting rod and reel. I mostly just fish for bass during open water season and have some pretty nice spinning reel set ups but it’s time to get a bait caster. I’ve been doing research and have decided on the rod I’m going to get (a Powell Max 3D 723) but I’m really having trouble selecting the reel. Judging by all the things I’ve read I know I’m probably going to get a variety of answers but I’d figured I’d try before choosing. I’m considering almost everything right now: Abu Garcia Revo, Lews, Diawa, Shimano Curado… Let’s hear your 2 cents. Price range is $150 or lower. Thanks.

bentpole
      Participant

What type of fishing are you doing? Frogs, crankbaits, plastics, topwater. All will use different gear ratios.

My love for the Vikings is only rivaled by my hatred for the packers and their famous "11 world championships"
        Fishking22
        Participant

Mainly plastics

SpoonbillSlayer
          Participant

Probably can’t go wrong with any of the brands listed. I know a lot of guys are going with the Lew’s reels, but I don’t have one myself. I do like the feel of the new LFS series.

I have a Daiwa Lexa and that is decent for the price. They have been on sale at Gander for $69 sometimes. I have a Shimano Citica G7, which is also decent. I’m sure the new line of Citica and Curado I’s are nice. Also got a Quantum Kinetic, which I like. I am dissapointed in the new Quantums because they got rid of the main gear lube port. I like this feature on a reel. Makes it real easy to put some grease on the main gear. Lews, Pfluegars, Abu’s and maybe a few others have this.

Some people don’t like Pfluegars, but my Trion and Summits have been solid. If you can, it would be best if you can try a few reels with your rod to at least see how they feel together. Also whatever reel you get, make sure it has an aluminum frame. They are more solid than graphite and the gears stay aligned on big fish.

Good luck and have fun reel shopping.

Fishking22
            Participant

thanks for the reply

bentpole
              Participant

I was going to tell you to check out the Abu Garcia Promax combo for $99.99 BUT now that it’s on sale for $69.99 I say run out ASAP and pick one up. It has a 7.1.1 gear ratio. I have this combo for throwing frogs and plastics & it has worked well for me. or you could look in to the Abu Garcia Orra series too. I have the Orra winch for big crankbaits also works well.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Rod-Reel-Combos/Casting-Combos%7C/pc/104793480/c/104762880/sc/104822280/Abu-Garcia174-Pro-Max-Baitcasting-Combo/1729174.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fcasting-combos%2Fabu-garcia%2F_%2FN-1102354%2B1000002582%2FNe-1000002582%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104822280%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

My love for the Vikings is only rivaled by my hatred for the packers and their famous "11 world championships"
                bassfshin24
                Participant

If you are willing to spend $150 on a baitcaster then spend the actual $150. The difference between a $100 and a $150 reel is huge. I am a Abu guy and absolutely love the Revo SX. I’ve heard a lot of people that actually like the SX over the STX. Lews are also nice reels but my SX is my favorite reel in my lineup. Go on e bay and check out the prices on the Revo’s…you can get quite the discount by buying them on e bay.

Fishking22
                  Participant

right now just based off of reviews I am leading toward a shimano curado 200i

bassfshin24
                    Participant

I think that is a good choice as well. Pretty much personal preference. I’ve never tried shimano reels but I don’t think I have ever heard a bad review.

SpoonbillSlayer
                      Participant

Those I’s look and feel nice at the stores. A good place to read reviews is Tackle Tour. You never know if they are biased sometimes, but they show alot of good pictures of the reels and how they are built inside. I believe they do have a review of the
                        Curado I. They also have a review of the new Citica I on there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.