How did you get started in fishing?

Home Forums Lake State Fishing Central General Discussion How did you get started in fishing?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Paul
    Keymaster

It is always interesting to hear how people got started in fishing.  Let’s hear your story about how you got started in fishing.

Let's Talk Fishing!

Paul - http://www.LakeStateFishing.com

eyes4life
      Participant

Grandpa… my dad fished but it was like once a year with his buddies and a couple times with me and gramps…grandpa just drug me along and it grew to a passion I think I was meant to love fishing and hunting… my kids really enjoy both but don’t enjoy entire days on the lake like I do and are not patient enough to fish for a species that don’t cooperate like small panfish they’d rather catch 25 tiny gills instead of searching for the bigger ones or for something bigger I understand there train of thought and I have adapted instead of going to LOW where my parents have a cabin we hit up state parks (which I love too) where we can go for a couple hours come back to the site and go swimming or kayaking (which is also a great time) but I see this new generation lacking patients I don’t force my kids to fish and I understand but put them on a dock with swarms of gills and they never want to leave so I know they’ll come around to big lake fishing…so if your in my situation just relax and let them have fun you may feel like it’s pointless but to them it’s not and one day they’ll never want you to go without them no matter where you go.

Awaiting the next bite...
        • This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by eyes4life.
        orandausa

For me it was my mom who introduced me to fishing. But it was once a year on vacation. Pan fishing in a row boat as a kid. It did not develop into a passion till much later in life. I was in college before I ever saw ice fishing. Never tried it till my late 20’s.  Now I am very focused on fishing year round.

I corrected that for my kids. They got introduced to fishing, hunting and enjoying the outdoor life style very early on. One is very passionate about it the other enjoys visiting it once and a while.

Yes, Yes that is a 39" Pike.
          PatK
          Participant

My family didn’t fish. I did a little shore fishing with friends and cousins growing  up but didn’t really get into fishing until I met my wife. Fishing with her and her father and uncles is what got me started fishing seriously.

"In my travels I've found that if a man uses the phrase "Common Sense" to defend his position, he possesses very little himself." Will Rogers
            glenn57
            Participant

my parents………..back in 1965 they bought a cabin on a small lake up in itasca county near bowstring lake. been hooked on fishing and hunting since!!!!!!

Bandersnatch
              Participant

I believe that I was the ripe old age of three (before my younger brother, then sister, came along) so this would have been circa 1956 in the summer.

Dad was saddled with The Youngster for the afternoon, and off to the Willow River went from St Paul to Trout fish.

I recall the way the fly-rod tipped with a crawler lay on the edge of a small backwater pool, there in the overhanging brush beneath the canopy of oak trees. Dad picking up the rod to set the hook, and holding me around the middle to “reel them in”.

Later in the evening he switched over to a fly when the trout started rising, making those pop-slurp noises that I still enjoy hearing today when fishing a popper for panfish. Dad waded out into the Willow at one point to fish an overhanging bush that was showing some action after an admonishment “Now you sit here quiet, and I’ll be right back…okay?” Well. “right back” in a three year olds mind is after dad got about five steps into the river, and of course here I came following him. Waddling into the river in my three year old “rain boots” the river filled the boots with water on about the third step, I must have lifted a foot and off came the boot, and on my ass in the river I sat, laughing at the boot swirling it’s way down the river. Hearing my laugh dad spun around with an “Oh….Shit” and back he came laughing at my laughing.

Boy did he catch hell from Mom when we returned home about me losing that boot in the river!

Keith

glenn57
                Participant

i’ll bet. think i remember a few of those conversations at home myself……cept it was us kids catching hell for losing stuff!!!!

Bandersnatch
                  Participant

i’ll bet. think i remember a few of those conversations at home myself……cept it was us kids catching hell for losing stuff!!!!

Yeah! Those came later when we spent our summers fishing the Mississippi where Minnihaha Creek joins the river.

“We eat dinner in this house at 6:30!! Why weren’t you home for DINNER AGAIN!!!”

Keith

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.